Beschrijving:The aircraft wasn't able to land at Tura due to bad weather there. After three missed approaches, the crew changed course to Vanavara, the alternate at 450km SSE of Tura. At 41km NNW of Vanavara (3,5 hours after leaving Krasnoyarsk), the three engines ran down. A forced landing was attempted on a river, but the aircraft struck the river bank and crashed.
|Datum:||maandag 26 september 1994|
|Motoren:|| 3 Ivchenko AI-25|
|Bemanning:||slachtoffers: 4 / inzittenden: 4|
|Passagiers:||slachtoffers: 24 / inzittenden: 24|
|Totaal:||slachtoffers: 28 / inzittenden: 28 |
|Gevolgen:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Plaats:||41 km (25.6 mijl) NNW of Vanavara (Rusland)
|Fase:|| Kruisvlucht (ENR)|
|Soort vlucht:||Binnenlandse lijnvlucht|
|Vliegveld van vertrek:||Krasnoyarsk Airport (KJA/UNKL), Rusland|
|Vliegveld van aankomst:||Tura (UNIT), Rusland|
The fact-finding of the commission for investigation, concluded that occurred as a result of a.o, a combination of the following unfavorable factors:
- incorrect calculation by the crew of the necessary quantity of fuel for the execution of flight to Tura taking into account Vanavara being the alternate airport;
- sudden weather deterioration on Tura Airport, about which the crew was not informed in time;
- failure by Tura airport personnel to conduct observations at a time when the weather was worsening, and failure of the flight control officer to keep proper control of the work of the subordinates;
- the deviation, allowed by crew during the first straight-in approach, which was caused, probably, by short-term de-energizing of the Outer Marker beacon and by incorrect determination by the crew of removal to VPP under these conditions;
- failure of the crew to monitor the approach pattern parameters during the second and third approaches into Tura under the weather conditions below the established minimum;
- wrong decision by the crew regarding the shortage of fuel by choosing the alternate Of Vanavara instead of Baykit Airport, located on 110 km closer;
- the error of the crew in the selection flight altitude and the premature descent into Vanavara.
» Soviet Transports
» Flight International 5-11.10.94(4)
» ICAO Adrep Summary 3/95 (#94)
This information is not presented as the Flight Safety Foundation or the Aviation Safety Networkĺs opinion as to the cause of the accident. It is preliminary and is based on the facts as they are known at this time.