Narrative:A Boeing 727-286 operated by Iran Air was destroyed in an accident during a training flight.
|Date:||Sunday 9 June 1996|
|C/n / msn:|| 21079/1131|
|First flight:|| 1975-04-29 (21 years 2 months)|
|Total airframe hrs:||38678|
|Engines:|| 3 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-15|
|Crew:||Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 7|
|Passengers:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 0|
|Total:||Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 7 |
|Airplane damage:|| Damaged beyond repair|
|Location:||5 km (3.1 mls) W of Rasht Airport (RAS) ( Iran)
|Phase:|| Landing (LDG)|
|Departure airport:||Tehran-Mehrabad Airport (THR/OIII), Iran|
|Destination airport:||Rasht Airport (RAS/OIGG), Iran|
The aircraft took off from Tehran-Mehrabad Airport, Iran at 12:33 local time on a flight to Rasht Airport. After the 15th touch-and-go the aircraft landed on runway 09 with the undercarriage retracted. The aircraft slid about 2100 m before it became airborne again.
A fire developed in the rear fuselage as the aircraft circled the airport. The undercarriage was deployed manually and the flight was cleared for runway 09. The fire affected aircraft systems, causing the pilot to experience control difficulties.
The left hand wing contacted the ground after which the aircraft impacted a rice field. The airplane broke up, killing four of the seven crew members.
Causes of accident are as follows:
1) Sufficient attention has not been paid by flight crew to the gears up warning horn before landing on rwy.
2) F/C has not complied with reading landing check list.
3) Lack of cockpit resource management.
4) The PIC has forgotien to make gears down.
5) A/C body friction on rwy about 30 seconds and 2100 meters distance .
6) Continuous flight with no consideration to fire and smoke for 9:30
7) Subsequently a/c lost it's vital systems.
Wheel(s) up landing
Loss of control
» Flight International 19-25.06.96(9)
» ICAO Adrep Summary 4/96 (#19)
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Tehran-Mehrabad Airport to Rasht Airport as the crow flies is 236 km (147 miles).