Narrative:The YS-11 overran runway 14, and ran into the snow bank located on the right side of the runway overrun area causing damage to the landing gear, propeller and front fuselage.
Probable Cause:PROBABLE CAUSE: "When the a/c tried to land on the snow covered rwy, it passed over the rwy threshold with speed of 23 kts above target threshold speed (tts). The a/c touched down further away from the touch down zone with high speed. This resulted in overrun from the rwy, collision with the snow bank and substantial damage to the a/c."
a) high air speed at the rwy threshold, 23 kts above tts.
b) extended landing roll distance due to the following factors:
1) higher touch down speed.
2) due to higher touch down speed, time elapsed before the propeller ground fine pitch effect became positive.
3) the rwy covered with snow was slippery and braking was not effective enough to stop the a/c within the rwy.
c) the flight crew failed to execute go-around even though they had chances to do so during such time frame as:
1) guidance limit to da.
2) passing over the rwy threshold with higher-than-tts air speed; and
3) making an elongated touch down.
d) it was estimated possible that then meteorological conditions affected the proper operations of the a/c.
e) insufficient flight crew coordination such as:
1) air speed monitor by the pnf.
2) standard call-out procedure by the pf and the pnf; and
3) close coordination between the captain and the cockpit.
» ICAO Adrep Summary 2/00 (#74)
» ICAO File : 00000380
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Hakodate Airport to Sapporo-Okadama Airport as the crow flies is 155 km (97 miles).