Beschrijving:The DC-3 was chartered to transport building materials to Ennadai Lake and was on the second flight of the day. The ice strip on the lake was 2700 feet approximate in length, 150 feet wide. The aircraft was observed to touch down nearly halfway along the ice strip, the tail of the aircraft remained in the air, and the aircraft took off almost immediately. The main landing gear was seen to retract. The aircraft reached the end of the runway then abruptly entered a steep, nose-up attitude, banked sharply to the left, turned left, and descended into the ice. The left wing made first contact with the ice. The aircraft rotated around the left wing and struck the ice in a steep, nose-down attitude about 400 feet from the end of the ice strip.
|Datum:||vrijdag 17 maart 2000|
Douglas C-47A-5-DK Dakota 3 (DC-3C)
|Luchtvaartmaatschappij:||Points North Air Services|
|Motoren:|| 2 Pratt & Whitney R-1830|
|Bemanning:||slachtoffers: 2 / inzittenden: 2|
|Passagiers:||slachtoffers: 0 / inzittenden: 0|
|Totaal:||slachtoffers: 2 / inzittenden: 2 |
|Gevolgen:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Plaats:||Ennadai Lake Airport, NU (YEI) ( Canada)
|Fase:|| Landing (LDG)|
|Vliegveld van vertrek:||Points North Landing Airport, SK (YNL/CYNL), Canada|
|Vliegveld van aankomst:||Ennadai Lake Airport, NU (CWJC), Canada|
FINDINGS AS TO CAUSES AND CONTRIBUTING FACTORS:
- The pilot lost control of the aircraft while conducting a go-around from a balked landing on an ice strip.
- The aircraft's centre of gravity (C of G) on the accident flight was beyond the aft C of G limit.
- The actual C of G of the aircraft at basic operating weight was 16.7 inches aft of the C of G provided in the weight and balance report.
- The load sheet index number used by the crew was inaccurate.
- The stack of 2x4 lumber was inadequately secured and may have shifted rearward during the go-around.
- The crew did not recalculate the aircraft's weight and balance for the second flight.
- Leaks in the heater shroud allowed carbon monoxide gas to contaminate cockpit and cabin air.
- The captain's carboxyhaemoglobin level was 17.9 per cent, which may have adversely affected his performance, especially his decision making and his visual acuity.
Official accident investigation report
Deze kaart geeft het vliegveld van vetrek weer en de geplande bestemming van de vlucht. De lijn tussen de vliegvelden geeft niet
de exacte vliegroute weer.
De afstand tussen Points North Landing Airport, SK en Ennadai Lake Airport, NU bedraagt 361 km (226 miles).