Narrative:Because of engine problems on their Boeing 737-300 HA-LES, Tupolev 154B-2 HA-LCR was used for Malev's regular service to Thessaloniki. Flight MA262 departed Budapest at 12:35 UTC. The en route part of the flight was uneventful.
Approaching Thessaloniki, the flight was cleared for VOR/DME approach to runway 34, followed by a visual circle to land on runway 28. Runway 34 was closed due to construction works.
Because a Boeing 757, flight CFG851, had not cleared the runway yet after landing, the controller instructed MA262 to extend the downwind leg for runway 28.
The flight did not adhere to this instruction and turned towards runway 28, performing an S-shaped manoeuvre to line up with the runway. During the approach the crew had failed to deploy the undercarriage. This was noted by the tower controller, who instructed the flight to go around. A go around was initiated, but the crew was not able to arrest the high descent rate. At 13:57 UTC the underside of the fuselage touched the runway, the airframe and inboard flaps sustaining substantial damage. The airplane became airborne again and entered a holding pattern while debris was removed from the runway. A safe landing was carried out at 14:13 UTC.
Probable Cause:Cause of the accident:
Despite repeated instructions of the control tower the crew did not carried out a short turn for landing, resulting in:
- The aircaft was not aligned with the runway in time (unstabilized approach).
- Attention of the cockpit crew was to exclusively dedicated to performing sudden maneuvers at low altitude, in order to alignt the plane with the runway.
- Failure to lower the undercarriage in accordance with the applicable procedures for this flight phase.
- The apparent inactivation of the audible warning when the undercarriage was not deployed.
- Lack of Cockpit Resources Management.
|investigating agency: ||AAIASB |
|number: ||Report no 01/2002|
|download report: ||
Report no 01/2002
Wheel(s) up landing
» E-mail Ivan Rado, 16-2-2007
» Soviet Transports
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Budapest-Ferihegy Airport to Thessaloniki International Airport as the crow flies is 818 km (512 miles).