Last updated: 29 April 2017
Descripción:Air Algérie flight 6289 originated in Tamanrasset and was bound for Algiers, with an intermediate stop at Ghardaia. Takeoff was commenced from runway 02 with the co-pilot acting as pilot-in-command. The aircraft rotated and at 15:14:52 the co-pilot ordered the gear to be raised. At that moment, at a height of 78 feet and a speed of 158 kts, the no. 1 engine suffered a turbine failure. The captain took over control of the airplane. Three seconds later the co-pilot asked if she should raise the gear, but the captain did not respond. The 737 lost speed and at 15:15:06 the speed had dropped to 134 kts. Height at that moment was 398 ft. The aircraft, named "Monts du Daia", stalled and crashed and broke up on rocky terrain about 1645 metres past the runway.
|Fecha:||jueves 6 marzo 2003|
|Numéro de série:|| 22700/885|
|Año de Construcción:|| 1982-06-09 (20 years 9 months)|
|Horas Totales de la Célula:||41472|
|Motores:|| 2 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-17A (HK3)|
|Tripulación:||Fatalidades: 6 / Ocupantes: 6|
|Pasajeros:||Fatalidades: 96 / Ocupantes: 97|
|Total:||Fatalidades: 102 / Ocupantes: 103 |
|Daños en la Aeronave:|| Destruido|
|Consecuencias:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Ubicación:||Tamanrasset Airport (TMR) ( Argelia)
|Elevación del lugar del accidente:|| 1377 m (4518 feet) amsl |
|Fase:|| Ascenso Inicial (ICL)|
|Naturaleza:||Vuelo Doméstico Programado|
|Aeropuerto de Salida:||Tamanrasset-Aguemar Airport (TMR/DAAT), Argelia|
|Aeropuerto de Llegada:||Ghardaïa-Noumérat Airport (GHA/DAUG), Argelia|
|Número de Vuelo:||6289|
Probable Cause:PROBABLE CAUSES: The accident was caused by the loss of an engine during a critical phase of flight, the non-retraction of the landing gear after the engine failure, and the Captain, the PNF, taking over control of the airplane before having clearly identified the problem.
The following factors probably contributed to the accident:
- the perfunctory flight preparation, which meant that the crew were not equipped to face the situation that occurred at a critical moment of the flight;
- the coincidence between the moment the failure occurred and the request to retract the landing gear;
- the speed of the event that left the crew little time to recover the situation;
- maintaining an inappropriate rate of climb, taking into account the failure of one engine;
- the absence of any teamwork after the engine failure, which led to a failure to detect and correct parameters related to the conduct of the flight (speed, rate of climb, configuration, etc.);
- the takeoff weight being close to the maximum with a high aerodrome altitude and high temperature;
- the rocky environment around the aerodrome, unsuitable for an emergency landing.
|investigating agency: ||Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses (BEA) - France |
|number: ||Report 7t-z030306|
|download report: ||
» La Tribune d'Algerie
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Tamanrasset-Aguemar Airport to Ghardaïa-Noumérat Airport as the crow flies is 1070 km (669 miles).
- 94th loss
- 47th accidente fatal
- 1114 built
- 8th worst accident (a la hora)
- 13th worst accident (actualmente)
» safety profile