Narrative:A Beechcraft 99A passenger plane, operated by Aerocord, was destroyed in an accident near Puerto Montt-Marcel Marchant Airport, Chile. All eight passengers and the pilot were killed.
|Date:||Thursday 10 July 2008|
|C/n / msn:|| U-145|
|First flight:|| 1971|
|Engines:|| 2 Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27|
|Crew:||Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1|
|Passengers:||Fatalities: 8 / Occupants: 8|
|Total:||Fatalities: 9 / Occupants: 9 |
|Airplane damage:|| Destroyed|
|Airplane fate:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Location:||1,5 km (0.9 mls) NW of Puerto Montt-Marcel Marchant Airport ( Chile)
|Phase:|| Approach (APR)|
|Nature:||Domestic Scheduled Passenger|
|Departure airport:||Puerto Montt-Marcel Marchant Airport (SCPF), Chile|
|Destination airport:||Melinka Airport (SCMK), Chile|
The airplane took off from Puerto Montt-Marcel Marchant Airport's runway 01 at 10:23, bound for Melinka Airport. Immediately after takeoff the cowling of engine number two unlatched, causing the cowling to open. The pilot levelled off at a height of about 200-300 feet and turned downwind for an emergency landing back on runway 01. The airplane stalled as the pilot turned to finals. It impacted the ground with a nose down attitude and burst into flames.
MOST PROBABLE CAUSE (translated from Spanish):
Operational error of the pilot in command by not applying normal approach procedures recommended by the manufacturer and loss control of the aircraft (stall) while returning to land with the left engine cowling open.
- During preflight inspection it was not discovered that the left engine cowl was not latched.
- Return with the intendion of landing with a speed very close to the stall speed, possibly to avoid the detachment of the cowl due to the wind force.
- Probable increased stall speed by altering the left wing aerodynamics due to the engine open cowl.
- Not having high enough altitude to recover from a stall condition.
- Possible decreased physiological capabilities of the commander of the aircraft, due to the presence of alcohol in his system.
- Possible pilot distraction due to:
* Weather conditions, and
* Open engine cowl.
Loss of control
» Nueve fallecidos al estrellarse avión en cercanías de aeródromo en Puerto Montt (El Mercurio, 10-7-2008)
Official accident investigation report
|investigating agency: ||Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC) - Chile |
|report status: ||Final|
|report number: ||Accidente 1489|
|report released:||2 November 2009|
|duration of investigation: ||1 year and 4 months|
|download report: ||
(DGAC Chile Accidente 1489)
Follow-up / safety actions
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Puerto Montt-Marcel Marchant Airport to Melinka Airport as the crow flies is 279 km (174 miles).