Narrative:The Airbus A320-232 sustained substantial damage in a runway excursion accident upon landing at Varna Airport (VAR), Bulgaria.
|Date:||Friday 24 May 2013|
|C/n / msn:|| 5158|
|First flight:|| 2012-05-10 (1 year )|
|Total airframe hrs:||3164|
|Engines:|| 2 IAE V2527-A5|
|Crew:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 6|
|Passengers:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 172|
|Total:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 178 |
|Airplane damage:|| Substantial|
|Airplane fate:|| Repaired|
|Location:||Varna Airpot (VAR) ( Bulgaria)
|Phase:|| Landing (LDG)|
|Nature:||International Scheduled Passenger|
|Departure airport:||Leipzig Airport (LEJ/EDDP), Germany|
|Destination airport:||Varna Airport (VAR/LBWN), Bulgaria|
The aircraft overran runway 09 and traveled about 200 m over a grass area before crossing a perimeter road and impacting a fence.
An emergency evacuation was performed during which two passengers were injured.
Probable Cause:Contributing factors (translated from Bulgarian):
1. Insufficient analysis of the general weather conditions as forecast and an underestimation of the actual weather by the meteorological office at Varna Airport ATS Centre and flight crew during descent of the aircraft.
2. Sharp, dynamic change in the parameters of wind speed and direction, just before touchdown the aircraft.
3. Failure by the flight crew to limit tail wind speed of the plane and wrong decision by the pilot to land, subject to weather conditions necessitating missed, balked landing, going to a holding area or alternate
4. Aircraft touched down around the middle of the runway at a speed greater than the speed of approach (Vapp). Automatic braking was disabled during braking by the pilot flying, as he was in arrears with the activation of the maximum speed of the brakes.
5. Increased workload of the captain:
- Lack of experience of the co-pilot of the aircraft type;
- Shortening the time for landing due to next scheduled flight of the plane.
Official accident investigation report
|investigating agency: ||Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) - Bulgaria |
|report status: ||Final|
|report number: ||Final report|
|report released:||19 November 2014|
|duration of investigation: ||1 year and 6 months|
|download report: ||
This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not
display the exact flight path.
Distance from Leipzig Airport to Varna Airport as the crow flies is 1471 km (919 miles).