ASN logo
Accident description
Last updated: 24 June 2017
Status:Preliminary - official
Date:Saturday 19 October 2013
Type:Silhouette image of generic AT43 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Operator:Air Niugini
Registration: P2-PXY
C/n / msn: 087
First flight: 1988-03-21 (25 years 7 months)
Engines: 2 Pratt & Whitney Canada PW121
Crew:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3
Passengers:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 0
Total:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3
Airplane damage: Substantial
Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Madang Airport (MAG) (   Papua New Guinea)
Phase: Takeoff (TOF)
Departure airport:Madang Airport (MAG/AYMD), Papua New Guinea
Destination airport:Tabubil Airport (TBG/AYTB), Papua New Guinea
An ATR-42-320F cargo plane sustained substantial damage in a runway excursion accident at Madang Airport (MAG), Papua New Guinea.
The airplane, P2-PXY, operated on a domestic cargo flight from Port Moresby to Madan, Tabubil and then back to Port Moresby.
During taxi at Port Moresby, the anti-skid warning light illuminated. The flight crew stopped the aircraft, carried out the relevant checklist, and determined from the aircraft performance charts that it was permissible to land at Madang with the anti-skid inoperative. The flight to Madang was normal and the aircraft landed there at 0732. While on the ground, the freight from Port Moresby was off-loaded and a cargo consisting entirely of cigarettes, packaged in large cardboard cartons, was loaded for Tabubil and Port Moresby.
The aircraft taxied to depart from runway 25 at 09:15. The flight crew used the full length of the runway and the takeoff roll was normal until the Pilot-in-Command, who was the handling pilot, tried to rotate at VR (which the flight crew had calculated to be 102 knots). The controls felt very heavy in pitch and he could not pull the control column back in the normal manner. After approximately two seconds the Pilot-in-Command aborted the takeoff and selected full reverse thrust, and he later applied full braking. It was not possible to stop the aircraft before the end of the runway and it continued over the embankment at the end of the runway and the right wing struck the perimeter fence. This caused the aircraft to yaw to the right and it entered a creek beyond the perimeter fence at approximately 45 degrees to its direction of movement. The aircraft came to rest in a small creek, with the forward 4/5 of the fuselage in the water and the cockpit mostly submerged.
The right outboard wing section caught fire and the flight crew escaped through the hatch in the cockpit roof. The Pilot-in-Command, who was the last to remain on board, discharged the fire extinguishers in each engine and switched off the battery master switch before leaving the aircraft.

Accident investigation:
investigating agency: Accident Investigation Commission of Papua New Guinea - Papua New Guinea
status: Preliminary
number: AIC-13-1007
released:10 December 2013
duration: 52 days (2 months)
download report: Air Niugini P2-PXY Avions de Transport Régional ATR 42-320 freighter Madang Airport PAPUA NEW GUINEA 19 October 2013 (AIC PNG AIC-13-1007)

Runway excursion



photo of ATR-42-320F P2-PXY
photo of ATR-42-320F P2-PXY
photo of ATR-42-320F P2-PXY
photo of ATR-42-320F P2-PXY
photo of ATR-42-320F HB-AFC
HB-AFC was sold to Air Niugini as P2-PXY in July 2013
Add your photo of this accident or aircraft

Video, social media

This map shows the airport of departure and the intended destination of the flight. The line between the airports does not display the exact flight path.
Distance from Madang Airport to Tabubil Airport as the crow flies is 503 km (314 miles).

This information is not presented as the Flight Safety Foundation or the Aviation Safety Network’s opinion as to the cause of the accident. It is preliminary and is based on the facts as they are known at this time.
languages: languages