ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 191238
Last updated: 23 October 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic GLAS model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Stoddard-Hamilton Glasair RG
Registration: EI-CTG
C/n / msn: 721R
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Lettermoney, 3 miles northeast of Enniskillen Airfield, Co Fermanagh -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:Prestwick Airport (PIK/EGPK)
Destination airport:Abbeyshrule, County Longford, Eire (EIAB)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Written off (destroyed) 12-07-2009 when crashed into a field at Lettermoney, 3 miles north-east of Enniskillen Airfield, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland: The aircraft was cruising at about 3,000 feet when the engine cut out, resulting in a wheels-up forced landing. The pilot considers the engine stopped due to water in the fuel which had not been apparent during the pre-flight fuel checks. The two persons on board (pilot and one passenger) sustained minor injuries. A contemporary report from RTE (see link #2) states: "Police say that the pilot, who is in his 60s, did not sustain any serious injuries. His wife, who is also aged in her 60s, was airlifted to the Erne hospital. She had to be cut from the plane although her injuries are not said to be life threatening". According to the following excerpt from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"The aircraft had flown to Prestwick in Scotland without incident three days prior to the accident, and had been left parked outside. On the day of the accident the pilot intended to fly back to the aircraft’s home base at Abbeyshrule in Ireland, via a refuelling stop at Enniskillen. The pilot stated that he had visually checked the fuel quantity prior to departure and that the header tank was full and the main tanks about a quarter full, giving an endurance of about two hours. This was sufficient for the intended flight. He also stated that he had completed a drain check on all the tanks and found no evidence of water in the fuel.

After departure, the pilot had switched fuel selection from the main tank to the header tank, and climbed to a cruising altitude of 3,000 feet. He reported the flight proceeded without incident until the aircraft was approximately 12 miles from Enniskillen, when the engine cut out.

Believing it to be a fuel problem the pilot selected the main tank and turned the booster pump on. The engine did not respond and the pilot then re-selected the header tank and then the main tank again, but to no effect. He notified Enniskillen of the engine failure and selected a field in which to make a forced landing. The field he chose was not particularly long and so he elected to land with the wheels up in an attempt to reduce the landing distance. The aircraft touched down and came to a halt within the field but the landing badly damaged the aircraft. The pilot was able to vacate the aircraft unaided through his door, but the passenger had to be cut free from the aircraft by the emergency services."

Irish registration EI-CTG Cancelled on 22-01-2010 as destroyed.


1. AAIB:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

08-Nov-2016 23:43 Dr.John Smith Added
08-Nov-2016 23:51 Dr.John Smith Updated [Cn, Operator, Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description