ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 131938
Last updated: 20 October 2017
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic AS50 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Aérospatiale AS 350BA Ecureuil
Owner/operator:American Eurocopter Corp.
Registration: N350BA
C/n / msn: 2527
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:West Plains, Howell County, Missouri -   United States of America
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:West Plains Regional airport (UNO/KUNO)
Destination airport:Fairground at West Plains, Missouri
Investigating agency: NTSB
On July 10, 1993, at 11:05 central daylight time (CDT) N350BA, operated by the registered owner, American Eurocopter, and piloted by a company employee, crashed while landing at a fairground in West Plains, Missouri. The aircraft was damaged beyond economical repair.

There was additional damage to four electrical power lines and two parked automobiles. The commercial pilot and one passenger received serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions
prevailed for the flight, no flight plan was filed. The personal originated from the West Plains Airport in Pomona, Missouri, approximately 10:50 CDT.

The pilot was employed as a helicopter pilot/marketing specialist by the helicopter manufacturer. He was scheduled to perform a helicopter demonstration flight in Des Moines, Iowa on July 12. The pilot and passenger (his wife) incorporated a personal trip into the scheduled mission. Both
attended high school in West Plains, Missouri, and their 40th class reunion was scheduled the weekend of July 10.

They planned to attend reunion events over the weekend in West Plains before continuing to Des Moines for the demonstration flight. They departed their home base near Dallas, Texas and arrived in the West Plains area on July 9.

The morning of July 10, the pilot and his wife met with other alumni for a reunion breakfast. The pilot offered to fly to the county fairgrounds and take some classmates up for a ride in the helicopter. Many classmates traveled to at the fairgrounds to see the helicopter, and were witness to the accident. The classmates gathered along an asphalt road which bordered the south side of the open field/landing site.

The classmates reported the helicopter approached from the north-northwest and circled them at low altitude (less than 200 feet above the ground) before it began its approach to land on fairground property. They stated everything appeared normal as the helicopter approached to land from the east-northeast. One witness stated "As he came in to land, he leveled out about...6 feet above the ground, but instead of hovering as I expected...dropped like a rock to the ground."

Witnesses stated the helicopter struck the ground hard, tail first, then bounced forward onto the skids, FLIR (forward-looking infra-red) equipment and nose section. They reported the helicopter rebounded to an estimated 50 to 60 feet above the ground, and moved in a southerly direction, towards the crowd. The witnesses reported when the helicopter became airborne again, it was spinning, counterclockwise, and gyrating erratically. They stated it did not seem like the pilot was in control of the helicopter.

Witnesses stated when the helicopter struck the power lines, the lines stretched and broke, springing apart. The "hot" power lines came to rest away from the helicopter wreckage and leaking fuel.

Neither the pilot nor his wife were in condition to be interviewed after the accident. The pilot's wife was interviewed by telephone on March 18, 1994. She indicated she had ridden with her husband in helicopters for thirty-five years. She reported he was "...usually really relaxed in the cockpit, but he was suddenly very busy..." just prior to the accident. She recalled her husband told her to "...hold on, I think we have a hydraulic problem." She did not remember any warning lights or horns. She stated: "It was a clear, bright sunny day, with no winds that I can recall, nothing that could have effected the flying. I've relived that day a thousand times in my mind, I don't remember anything other than Ron's one comment. It's all sort of surreal."

The pilot's wife reported her husband "...doesn't recall even leaving Dallas the day before...doesn't remember anything at all about the accident."

The pilot received critical injuries and remained in a coma until September,1993. He was transferred to a rehabilitation facility in December,1993. The pilot's wife reported the doctors estimate a 90% chance of full physical recovery and improved cognitive levels over time.

The pilot's wife, the passenger, received serious injuries during the impact sequence. She advised she is a "Level One" paraplegic since the accident.

cause undetermined.


1. NTSB:
2. FAA:

Revision history:

02-Jul-2014 16:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Location, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
08-May-2016 14:18 Aerossurance Updated [Time, Aircraft type, Nature, Source, Narrative]
21-Dec-2016 19:25 ASN Update Bot Updated [Time, Damage, Category, Investigating agency]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description