ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 144959
Last updated: 28 August 2014
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information.
If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information
Narrative:First date: 11 September 1940 - Taken on strength by No. 6 Repair Depot at Trenton
Avro Anson Mk I
|Owner/operator:||1 B & GS RCAF|
|Registration:|| RCAF 6089|
|C/n / msn:|| |
|Fatalities:||Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 3|
|Airplane damage:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Location:||6 miles west of RCAF stn Jarvis, Ontario -
|Phase:|| Initial climb|
|Departure airport:||RCAF Jarvis, Ontario|
|Destination airport:||RCAF Jarvis, Ontario|
Ex RAF R9892. Delivered to stored reserve. To No. 1 Training Command on 20 September 1940. To No. 2 Training Command at Winnipeg on 11 November 1940. Winter conversion kit installed by 3 July 1941. In storage from 11 April to 6 May 1942. Later with No. 38 Service Flying Training School at Estevan, Saskatchewan. Category C14 damage at 16:20 on 11 May 1942, at Estevan. Collided with Anson W1997 (RCAF) on the ground while being parked. To MacDonald Brothers Aircraft in Winnipeg for overhaul, 11 June to 12 August 1942. To Eastern Air Command when completed, for use by No. 1 General Reconnaissance School at Summerside, PEI. To Canada Car & Foundry at Amherst, NS for crash repairs on 26 August 1943. To No. 1 Training Command on 13 November 1943.
Written off in a category A crash on 7 July 1944, while with No. 1 Bombing & Gunnery School at Jarvis, Ontario. crashed at approx 01:10 hours six miles north west of the aerodrome. The aircraft dropped a flare at low altitude, then crashed and burned. All three crew on board were killed
RAAF 419978 Flt Sgt J B Watts, (Pilot)
Plus two RAF trainees
Flt Sgt Watts is buried in the Jarvis (Knox Presbyterian Church) Cemetery, Canada.
Wreckage to No. 6 Repair Depot for inspection and to be held pending decision on repairing.
Last date: 26 July 1944 - Not repaired, struck off charge, reduced to spares and produce
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Operator, Location, Source, Narrative]|
Number of views: 353