ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 189209
Last updated: 20 November 2017
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:12:20 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic R44 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Robinson R44
Owner/operator:Silverstar Components Ltd
Registration: G-SYTN
C/n / msn: 1156
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities:0
Airplane damage: Substantial
Location:Swansea Airport, Glamorgan -   United Kingdom
Phase: Taxi
Departure airport:Swansea Airport (SWS/EGFH)
Destination airport:Swansea Airport (SWS/EGFH)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Substantially damaged 08-05-2005 in a hover taxying accident at Swansea Airport, Fairwood Common, Swansea, Glamorgan. Aircraft entered uncontrollable right yaw, struck ground and came to rest on its side. No injuries to the 3 Person On Board (pilot and two passengers). According to the following excerpt from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"After completing two circuits on Runway 28 at Swansea Airport, the pilot brought the aircraft to a hover beside a taxiway intersection and hover taxied clear of the runway on a north-easterly heading. The helicopter then turned right onto an easterly heading in order to enter the apron for parking. Surface wind was reported as 300 degrees/14 knots.

As it turned from the taxiway onto the apron, the aircraft continued in an uncommanded turn to the right, which the pilot tried to correct with a left yaw pedal input. Despite full left pedal input, however, the aircraft continued to yaw to the right. During this manoeuvre the nose pitched down and the main rotor struck the ground. The tail struck the ground and broke off during the subsequent violent yaw to the right.

The pilot has no clear recollection of the control inputs he made at this point. The aircraft came to rest on its left side with substantial damage to the tail and rotors. There was no fire. The pilot was able to climb out unaided before reaching back into the cockpit to shut off the fuel.

The passenger in the left rear seat was trapped briefly by her clothing but was freed without great difficulty and helped out of the aircraft by the pilot. The passenger in the left front seat was able to vacate the aircraft unaided. Paramedics and the airfield fire and rescue service were in attendance quickly."


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:
8. Crash as UR-LWW:

Revision history:

11-Aug-2016 12:51 Dr.John Smith Added
11-Aug-2016 12:52 Dr.John Smith Updated [Narrative]
25-Sep-2016 16:22 Aerossurance Updated [Time, Location, Departure airport, Destination airport, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description