This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information.
If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information
Narrative:The pilot of the helicopter and an observer were carrying out a pipeline inspection flight between Cumbernauld Airport and Aberdeen. Approximately 45 minutes after takeoff, the helicopter descended to low level where debris was seen to fall from its aft section.
Bell 206A Jet Ranger
|Owner/operator:||Total Air Management Services|
|C/n / msn:|| 405|
|Fatalities:||Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2|
|Airplane damage:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Location:||Viewbank Farm, next to the A94, 3 miles NE of Coupar, Angus, Tayside -
|Phase:|| En route|
|Departure airport:||Cumbernauld Airport (EGPG)|
|Destination airport:||Aberdeen Airport, Dyce (ABZ/EGPD)|
|Investigating agency: ||National Transport Safety Bureau (NTSB) - United States of America |
Control of the helicopter was lost and it struck the ground, into a field near to Viewbank Farm, 3 miles north-east of Coupar, Angus, Tayside, situated next to the A94 Perth to Forfar road, fatally injuring both occupants. The AAIB investigation found that the vertical stabiliser had detached from the tail boom and struck the tail rotor. This subsequently caused the tail rotor and associated gearbox to become detached from the tail boom, resulting in the helicopterís centre of gravity moving outside controllable limits.
The inquest report (below) named the two persons on board killed as Edward Lapsley and Robert Philip Glover Ward. G-WLLY was written off (damaged beyond repair) and the registration was cancelled by the CAA on 23.06.2006 as aircraft "destroyed"
1. NTSB Identification: CHI06WA047 at http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20060105X00011&ntsbno=CHI06WA047&akey=1
2. AAIB Special Bulletin: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f99940f0b613460007cf/S1-2006__G-WLLY.pdf
3. AAIB Full Report: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f738ed915d137400063b/Bell_206B_Jet_Ranger_II__G-WLLY_12-06.pdf
4. CAA: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=reg&fullregmark=WLLY
5. CAA Safety Recommandation: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/factor200649.pdf
7. Inquest Reporrt: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/ward.html
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Cn, Location, Destination airport, Source, Embed code, Narrative]|
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Time, Location, Departure airport, Source, Embed code, Narrative]|
||Updated [Aircraft type, Destination airport, Source]|