Accident Boeing 737-275 C-GGPW,
ASN logo

Date:Monday 14 July 1986
Type:Silhouette image of generic B732 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Boeing 737-275
Owner/operator:Pacific Western Airlines
Registration: C-GGPW
MSN: 21639/539
Year of manufacture:1978
Total airframe hrs:19954 hours
Engine model:Pratt & Whitney JT8D-9A
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 81
Aircraft damage: Substantial, repaired
Location:Kelowna Airport, BC (YLW) -   Canada
Phase: Landing
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Calgary International Airport, AB (YYC/CYYC)
Destination airport:Kelowna Airport, BC (YLW/CYLW)
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
Pacific Western Airlines Flight 117 departed Calgary at 19:42 on a scheduled IFR flight to Vancouver with an en route stop at Kelowna. The first officer, who was pilot flying, climbed to the en route altitude of FL310. Descent clearance was obtained and at 20:10, the captain contacted Kelowna ATC. The tower controller advised the flight that runway 33 was in use, surface winds were 300 degrees at .15 to 20 knots with occasional gusts to 25, and torrential rain and gusty winds associated with a storm cell that was moving toward the airport from the northwest were present. On the descent, the aircraft broke out of cloud prior to reaching the minimum en route altitude (MEA), and the descent was continued visually. The crew sighted the airport, observed that the storm had moved to the east away from the airport, and decided not to hold at the NDB but to continue with the approach. The aircraft was levelled at 5,500 feet asl and passed to the west of the airport about 4,000 feet asl. At 20:21 a left descending turn was commenced onto the final approach path. The captain transmitted the aircraft's position to ATC and was advised that the flight was cleared to land, the surface winds were 030 degrees at 10 knots, and the runway was very wet. The pre-landing checks were completed, and a visual approach was conducted in light rain. The planned threshold speed was 125 knots adjusted to 135 knots to allow for the wind conditions at the airport. As the aircraft was flared for touchdown, it was subjected to a gust of wind. The landing was very smooth, between 1,500 and 1,800 feet down the runway at a speed of 135 knots. After touchdown, the first officer retarded the thrust levers, applied the brakes, and attempted to select reverse thrust. When the first officer was unable to move the thrust levers into the reverse position, he advised the captain who also tried unsuccessfully. The captain also applied full brakes. Braking was ineffective, and, with the end of the runway rapidly approaching, the captain shut down the engines. The aircraft left the end of the runway and came to rest approximately 1,300 feet beyond the end of the runway, 90 feet to the left of the extended centre line.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The Canadian Aviation Safety Board (CASB) determined that the pilot’s landing procedures on the wet runway, combined with limitations imposed by the aircraft air/ground logic system, prevented deployment of the ground spoilers and reversers. AS a consequence, the crew was unable to stop the aircraft on the runway."



Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314