Accident BAC One-Eleven 515FB D-ALAR,
ASN logo

Date:Monday 6 September 1971
Type:Silhouette image of generic BA11 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
BAC One-Eleven 515FB
Registration: D-ALAR
MSN: 207
Year of manufacture:1970
Fatalities:Fatalities: 22 / Occupants: 121
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:4,5 km NW of Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport (HAM) -   Germany
Phase: Initial climb
Nature:Passenger - Non-Scheduled/charter/Air Taxi
Departure airport:Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport (HAM/EDDH)
Destination airport:Málaga Airport (AGP/LEMG)
A BAC One-Eleven 515FB passenger jet, operated by Paninternational, was destroyed in a forced landing on a road, shortly after takeoff from Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport (HAM), Germany. One crew member and 21 passengers were killed. Five crew members and 94 passengers survived the accident.
Paninternational flight 112 was a charter flight from Hannover, Germany, to Málaga, Spain, with an intermediate stop at Hamburg.
While on the ground at Hamburg, five water canisters were offloaded from the cargo hold. The canisters contained demineralized water and were used to fill the water tank near the engines. For better engine performance during takeoff a water/methanol mixture can be injected into the fuel-air mixture. The mixture makes the air cooler and denser after passing the compressor, ahead of the combustion chamber.
When the airplane was prepared for the flight to Málaga, taxi clearance was given to runway 34. Takeoff was commenced at 18:18. The captain opted for a takeoff with injection in view of the high temperature and the actual take-off weight.
Reaching a speed of V1 during takeoff, the crew noted a rise in engine temperature. Takeoff was continued. The left-hand engine then failed, immediately followed by the right-hand engine. The airplane was climbing through an altitude of 300 m and the pilot pushed the nose down to gain speed. The engines could not be restarted, forcing the crew to carry out an emergency landing on the Hamburg-Kiel Autobahn E45.
Due to the high sink rate the jet touched down hard. The left hand main gear collapsed. The crew applied brakes to keep the airplane on the road. It then struck concrete pillars of an overpass, causing the flight deck to separate. The fuselage skidded and broke up, bursting into flames.
The female first officer of the flight survived the accident. She later died in a Cessna Citation accident on May 31, 1987.

Investigation revealed that two of the five water canisters actually contained kerosene. The canisters had been misplaced at Düsseldorf the night before and loaded on board the plane.

Sources: (with photos)
Im Segelflug auf die Autobahn (Aero 10-2001)



photo (c) Werner Fischdick; Düsseldorf Airport (DUS); 01 May 1971

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314