ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 1020
Last updated: 14 January 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic DH82 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth
Owner/operator:Museum of Army Flying
Registration: G-AHMN
C/n / msn: 82223
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Middle Wallop Airfield, near Andover, Hampshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Initial climb
Departure airport:Middle Wallop, Hampshire (EGVP)
Destination airport:Middle Wallop, Hampshire (EGVP)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Prior to the flight the pilot had prepared the aircraft and checked the weather, which was suitable for the local demonstration flight. He had noted the surface wind speed on the airfield anemometer repeater, which showed northerly 12 to 15 kt with moderate swings from the west. The passenger was dressed appropriately for the open cockpit environment, including a leather flying helmet, goggles and oxygen mask, which contained a microphone for the intercom. He was given a full safety briefing, which included how to undo the four point safety harness and exit the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

The pilot entered the aircraft first followed by the passenger who was assisted by a member of the ground crew into the front cockpit. He also checked the security of his harness and gave a short cockpit briefing on the controls and instruments. The propeller was hand swung by a member of the ground crew and the engine run for the required four minutes warm up period. During that time control and engine power checks were successfully completed against the chocks with the slats selected to the 'locked in' position.

The pilot confirmed over the intercom that the passenger was satisfied with the intended flight and proceeded to taxi from the hangar area initially along the level north western side of the airfield then down the grass slope towards the eastern side of the airfield. The aircraft was turned around on to a take-off heading of approximately 300(M), pointing to the left of a large two storey building with flag poles adjacent to it which is located on the north west side of the airfield. Whilst the building was hidden by the rising ground ahead of the aircraft, the flags at the top of the poles were just visible.

To the left of the aircraft a windsock was visible which indicated a moderate wind slightly from the left. Whilst the pilot would have preferred a more westerly take-off run, this was not possible without encroaching an area to the left which had been allocated to parascending and was very active. The pilot commenced his take-off run maintaining into wind aileron and raising the tail with forward movement of the control stick. The aircraft landing gear absorbed the grass undulations and became airborne in a wings level climbing attitude. The pilot described the take-off run as slow but within a normal distance for the up-slope take-off direction. The exact Indicted Air Speed (IAS) was not noted but it remained low during the short climb above the rising slope. The pilot was looking along the left side of the aircraft due to the nose obscuring his view ahead. On cresting the slope, the wind was much stronger and more from the left causing the aircraft to drift to the right.

Despite altering the heading to the left the aircraft continued to drift to the right and towards the large building immediately ahead. On noticing this the pilot closed the throttle and tried to turn the aircraft to the right to avoid the building and to land on some open ground. The airspeed was now very low and the left wing dropped striking the ground with the lower left wing tip followed immediately by the upper left wing tip. The aircraft collided with a small bush and yawed around to the left coming to rest with the fuselage on its left side with the wings wrapped over it along the left side.

There was no fire but a strong smell of fuel. The passenger, who was uninjured, was able to undo his harness and with some difficulty exit the forward cockpit to the rear along the left side of the fuselage. He was able to undo the pilot's harness but was not able to release him. The airfield Rescue and Fire Fighting Service (RFFS) had seen the aircraft pass their station and, realising that it was in difficulties, activated the crash alarm. They were on the scene almost immediately and released the pilot and applied a foam blanket to the wreckage. The pilot had remained conscious but had struck his head on the leather pad above the instrument panel and suffered a cut to the bridge of his nose caused by his goggles.

Registration G-AHMN cancelled by the CAA on 14/9/2000


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Related books:

Revision history:

26-Jan-2008 05:23 JINX Added
29-Sep-2012 18:40 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Operator, Location, Source, Narrative]
09-Feb-2015 17:34 Dr. John Smith Updated [Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Embed code]
08-Jul-2016 13:45 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description