ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 133704
Last updated: 13 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic C150 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna 150H
Owner/operator:Jeffrey Jensen
Registration: N22269
MSN: 15068180
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Alliance, NE -   United States of America
Phase: Unknown
Departure airport:AIA
Destination airport:AIA
On November 23, 1998, at 1620 mountain standard time, a Cessna 150, N22269, piloted by a student pilot, was substantially damaged during a collision with the ground following a loss of control during a recovery from a hard landing on runway 17 (6,311' X 75' dry asphalt) at the Alliance Municipal Airport, Alliance, Nebraska. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The pilot was seriously injured. The flight departed Alliance, Nebraska, exact time unknown.

During the interview with the pilot it was revealed he had flown with the flight instructor about 30-minutes before being given solo flight authorization. He said he had performed 3 touch and go landings before being authorized for solo flight. He said the airplane bounced a little on one of the 3 landings. The pilot said he added power on the bounced landing and it seemed to work.

The pilot said he increased power to about 2,000 RPM on the accident's bounced landing with the intent to recover. He said he applied back-pressure after he added power with the intent to flare for the landing. He said the airplane pitched down and he applied more back-pressure. After applying more back-pressure the airplane began to yaw-roll to the left, according to the pilot. The pilot said he had applied full elevator back-pressure when the airplane was pitched down. He said the elevator was not very effective at this point and the airplane struck the ground.

The pilot said he had only done about 5 or 6 power-off stalls. He was asked how he would recover from a full power-on stall. The pilot said he wasn't sure. He said he had never done any power on stalls, but would "...just have to add more power..." when recovering from a power-on stall. The pilot was asked what he would do if he stalled the airplane with the power-off. He said he would just add power. The pilot said there were no mechanical problems with the airplane or engine during the flight.

The flight instructor that had released the pilot for solo flight Said he observed the pilot takeoff and began walking back to the Airport's main hangar. He said he watched the pilot's first approach and landing. According to the instructor, N22269's final approach was high. He said the airplane bounced on it's first landing, striking the runway a second time and bouncing into the air again.

The instructor said the airplane's engine RPM increased and the airplane climbed about 100-feet above the runway in a nose high attitude. The instructor said the airplane's wings rocked side to side and then rolled into medium left bank as it pitched down about 10-degrees. He said the airplane struck the ground with the nose and left wingtip, cartwheeling before coming to rest.

During the instructor's interview and review of the student pilot's logbook, it was revealed that the instructor did not endorse the pilot's license and logbook. The instructor said he forgot to do that before allowing the pilot to make his first solo flight. The instructor said the accident pilot would occasionally bounce on landings. He said that he had given the pilot instruction in recoveries from hard landings and go-arounds from hard landings.

The on-scene investigation revealed that the flaps were extended about 25-degrees. There were no mechanical anomalies with the engine or airframe that would have prevented flight.

A review of the pilot's logbook and statement regarding the accident flight revealed he had 7.7-hours of flight instruction before being approved for solo flight. The logbook showed the pilot had performed power-off stalls during his third lesson after having received 2.1-hours of dual instruction. The logbook record for the third lesson showed the pilot had received instruction in, "Climbs, descents, [unknown word], slow flight, power off stalls, hood, touch and go landings." This lesson was 1.1-hours according to the logbook entry. The logbook record does not show any other stall training other than the third lesson. The logbook


NTSB id 20001211X11390

Revision history:

21-Dec-2016 19:26 ASN Update Bot Updated [Time, Damage, Category, Investigating agency]
29-Oct-2018 16:02 JINX Updated [Time, Aircraft type, Cn, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description