ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 133897
Last updated: 25 July 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic C150 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna 150L
Registration: N16095
C/n / msn: 15073473
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Vincent, OH -   United States of America
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:PHD
Destination airport:74D
Investigating agency: NTSB
On July 10, 1996, at 1515 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150, N16095, was destroyed when it collided with trees and terrain during a forced landing near Vincent, Ohio. The certificated flight instructor and the student pilot sustained serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident, no flight plan was filed. The dual instructional flight was conducted under 14 CFR 91. The flight originated from Harry Cleaver Field (PHD), in New Philadelphia, Ohio, at approximately 1400 EDT on a cross country flight, with an intended destination of Marshall County Airport (74D), in Moundsville, West Virginia.

After the accident, the student pilot stated, "This flight really began a few minutes after 11:00 am on [July 10, 1996] when I departed the 74D airport on a cross country flight with [name], a flight instructor. The plan was to study and use a combination of Pilotage and Dead Reckoning as a method of navigation. During most of this flight it was obvious to me that we had very little idea of our position. The planned 40 minute flight actually took us a total of one hour and twenty minutes."

While discussing the return flight, the student pilot reported, "The flight from PHD that began some time around 2 pm to the point that we ran out of fuel at approximately 3:30 pm was conducted in the same manner." "For the most part, we had no idea of our position during the second leg of this flight either. [The instructor pilot], although he kept playing with the VOR [VHF Variable Omnidirectional Range] receivers, could not determine our position." The student pilot added that during a turn " correct our course...I noticed the engine was sputtering. I told [the instructor pilot] I heard the motor sputter and he said he didn't hear anything, he said everything was OK. After about 2 minutes, the engine started revving and then sputtering over and over. As we were looking for a place to land, the engine stopped completely at about 1000 [feet]."

One Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspector's Record of Conversation with the student pilot stated, "[The student pilot] remembers that he pointed out to [the instructor pilot] a large open field that [the student pilot] judged suitable for an emergency landing site. [The student pilot] stated that he was shocked and disappointed that [the instructor pilot] seemed instead determined to land at another site that he could not identify and that turned out to be a small county road located next to a creek." The airplane subsequently struck a tree, a stream bed, and the roadway where it came to rest.

During a post accident interview with an FAA inspector, the student pilot revealed that the pilot did not verify the fuel level in the tanks prior to departure from Moundsville (74D) or New Philadelphia (PHD). When questioned about how close the fuel level was to the refueling port prior to departure from Moundsville (74D), the student pilot replied, "The fuel level was down about 4 inches." The instructor pilot was also interviewed by FAA inspectors after the accident. The inspectors terminated the interview after 10 minutes because the pilot "...was unable to answer the questions with any degree of reliability. During the accident, [the instructor pilot] sustained head injuries and they may have been the cause for the inconsistencies in his answers during the interview." The PILOT/OPERATOR REPORT (NTSB Form 6120.1/2) that was sent to the instructor pilot's last known address was returned to this office by the U.S. Postal Service. The operator of the aircraft reported that the pilot was transferred to a rehabilitation hospital to recover from his head injuries.

A post accident inspection of the airplane by FAA Airworthiness Safety Inspectors revealed no mechanical anomalies. When referencing the fuel system, the report stated, "The R/H and L/H fuel tanks were standard range tanks (13 gallons each) with 1.75 gallons unusable. Both tanks were sumped until empty and the following readings were noted, R/H


NTSB id 20001208X06256

Revision history:

21-Dec-2016 19:26 ASN Update Bot Updated [Time, Damage, Category, Investigating agency]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description