ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 147130
Last updated: 28 August 2019
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.
This accident is missing citations or reference sources. Please help add citations to guard against copyright violations and factual inaccuracies.

Type:Silhouette image of generic DH8A model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
de Havilland Canada DHC-8-102
Owner/operator:Air Nova
Registration: C-GANF
C/n / msn: 042
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 23
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: None
Location:St. John's, NF -   Canada
Phase: Unknown
Nature:Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:St. John's Airport, NF (YYT)
Destination airport:Goose Bay Airport, NF (YYR)
At 20:36 on 13 February 1988, DHC-8-102, registration C-GANF, arrived in St. John's. The same aircraft and crew were scheduled for a flight to Goose Bay the following morning. They parked the aircraft on the ramp and secured it for outside overnight parking. During the night there was precipitation, including snow, freezing rain, and rain accompanied by strong winds. The temperature varied around the freezing mark. At 10:12 the next day, the aircraft departed runway 29 on a scheduled IFR flight to Goose Bay. One minute and 19 seconds after take-off, while the aircraft was climbing through 1,800 feet asl in visual conditions, the right engine flamed out. The flight crew secured the engine and prepared for a right-hand visual approach to runway 29. Two minutes and 50 seconds after the right engine flamed out, the left engine flamed out. When the pilot turned the aircraft toward the airport, he assessed that the aircraft was beyond gliding distance from the closest runway and selected a nearby frozen lake as an alternate landing site. Five seconds after it had flamed out, the left engine re-lit and, in the following 17 seconds, returned to near full power. The pilot then decided to complete a visual approach to runway 16, which was the closest suitable runway. After a successful single-engine landing, the aircraft was towed to the ramp.
PROBABLE CAUSE: "The Canadian Aviation Safety Board determined that ice, which had accumulated in the engine intakes while the aircraft was parked overnight, was not detected during the pre-flight inspection. The ice broke free during climb-out and disrupted the airflow to the engines."


Revision history:

26-Jul-2012 07:21 harro Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description