ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 161694
Last updated: 26 February 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:15:56 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic PA34 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Piper PA-34-200 Seneca
Registration: G-BASM
C/n / msn: 34-7350120
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Tilehouse Lane, near Denham Airfield, Buckinghamshire (EGLD) -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:Andrewsfield, Essex (EGSL)
Destination airport:Denham, Buckinghamshire (EGLD)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Following annual maintenance at Andrewsfield Aerodrome, Essex, the aircraft’s engines were ground run for approximately two hours. A week later they were run again for about 15 to 20 minutes. The next day, October 24th, the pilot arrived to collect the aircraft to fly it to Denham, where it was usually kept, a flight time of about 20 minutes. The aircraft had been at the maintenance facility for several months and the pilot had not flown for more than three months.

The pilot reported that, before departure, he refuelled the aircraft with 230 litres (60 USG) of fuel and carried out a water drain check. The flight to Denham was uneventful and the weather conditions on arrival were fine, with a surface wind from between 120º and 160º at between 4 and 8 knots.

The pilot joined the circuit via the base leg for Runway 06 but the Air Ground (A/G) operator requested that he carry out a go-around, because he was close to another aircraft in the circuit. The pilot increased power and went around but reported that both engines then started to “run rough” and he was unable to maintain height. He turned onto the crosswind leg early and advised others, on the radio, that he had two rough running engines. The A/G operator acknowledged this and notified the aerodrome Rescue & Fire Fighting Services.

The pilot checked the fuel selector and attempted to resolve the rough running by adjusting the throttle, the mixture and the carburettor heat, but without apparent improvement. He turned onto final approach at around 350 ft aal, maintaining a higher than usual airspeed of 85 to 90 knots, and made a ‘finals’ call.

The A/G operator observed the aircraft, low on final approach. As it floated down the runway, the pilot decided he would not go-around because there might not be enough power. He estimated that the aircraft touched down about halfway along the runway and, despite applying heavy braking, he was unable to stop it departing the paved surface.

The aircraft continued through a fence, which formed the aerodrome boundary, across a public road (Tilehouse Lane) before coming to rest in a grass field. The pilot was uninjured and vacated the aircraft, which had sustained considerable damage. He subsequently dismantled the aircraft to recover it from the field.

Aircraft presumably written off (damaged beyond economic repair) as the registration G-BASM was cancelled by the CAA on 12 November 2013 as aircraft "destroyed"



Revision history:

26-Oct-2013 17:11 Geno Added
27-Oct-2013 02:31 Dr. John Smith Updated [Aircraft type, Operator, Nature, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Embed code, Damage, Narrative]
19-May-2014 02:11 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Operator, Location, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Embed code, Damage, Narrative]
26-Oct-2014 19:47 Dr. John Smith Updated [Embed code]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description