ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 165482
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information.
If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information
Narrative:The aircraft, a Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk, experienced a collapse of the right main landing gear during taxi at the Szombathely Airport (LHSY), Szombathely, in Vas County. The airplane sustained substantial damage and the two occupants onboard were not injured.
|Date:||Saturday 29 March 2014|
Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk
|Fatalities:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2|
|Aircraft damage:|| Substantial|
|Location:||Szombathely Airport (LHSY), Szombathely, Vas -
|Investigating agency: ||TSB Hungary|
|Confidence Rating:|| Accident investigation report completed and information captured|
Causes of the event
As a result of the investigation, the IC concluded that the occurrence had the following
– The head of the inner attach bolt of the right main landing gear fractured while the airplane was moving on ground, and the broken surface showed the signs of fatigue of the material.
– The bent end of the leaf spring of the right main landing gear situated at the wing moved downward, gave a push to the clamp, ripping out its front bolt.
– The clamp moved away from the wing, which allowed the right main landing gear to twist backward and detach from the airplane.
– The landing gear attach elements applied in the airplane were not the stronger ones specified in Service Bulletin No.1200 but those specified in Service Bulletin No. 673 which were mandatorily required by Airworthiness Directive No. 90-19-03.
– The airplane was regularly operated on an airfield with grass cover where the landing gear of the airplane may occasionally be exposed to larger loads during taxiing, take-off and landing than in the case of operation on an airfield with asphalt or concrete surfaces.
https://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20140401X10104&key=1 http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/HA-APW.html http://www.kbsz.hu/j25/dokumentumok/eng/2014-102_en.pdf
| || |
|Investigating agency: ||TSB Hungary |
|Report number: || |
|Status: ||Investigation completed|
|Download report: || Final report|
||Updated [Operator, Nature, Source, Narrative]|
||Updated [Narrative, Accident report, ]|
The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
CONNECT WITH US:
©2023 Flight Safety Foundation