ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 174242
Last updated: 13 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic B752 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Boeing 757-2K2
Owner/operator:40 Sqn RNZAF
Registration: NZ7571
MSN: 26633/519
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 130
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: None
Category:Serious incident
Location:Pegasus Field -   Antarctica
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:Christchurch Airport (CHC)
Destination airport:Pegasus Field
Investigating agency: TAIC New Zealand
The Royal New Zealand Air Force Boeing 757 departed Christchurch for Pegasus Field aerodrome in Antarctica. There were 117 passengers and 13 crew on board. The passengers included a New Zealand Government Minister, staff from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and staff from Antarctica New Zealand and the United States Antarctic Program.
The flight departure had been delayed while the flight crew gathered additional information on the forecast weather conditions at Pegasus Field. The Boeing 757 aircraft did not have sufficient fuel capacity to complete the return trip without refuelling at Pegasus Field.
A point of safe return had been pre-calculated. The aeroplane would only continue past this point if the weather conditions at Pegasus Field met certain criteria that would allow the aeroplane to land safely; otherwise it would return to Christchurch.
The crew received regular and additional weather observations and forecasts from staff at the United States Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command's Office of Polar Programs facilities at McMurdo and in Charleston, USA. Weather observers at Pegasus Field were noting the existence of a fog bank about five kilometres from the runway. The crew received assurances from the forecasters that the weather was forecast to improve. Based on these assurances and using the crew members' collective experience, both recent and from previous seasons, the crew made the decision to continue past the point of safe return towards Pegasus Field. About 20 minutes thereafter, the crew received the first of several weather observations that conditions had deteriorated and that a fog bank had enveloped the runway and its approaches.
With insufficient fuel on board to return to Christchurch, the crew was committed to continuing to Pegasus Field. There was no other safe alternative aerodrome in Antarctica where the aeroplane could land. The crew made two attempts to land at Pegasus Field but the restricted visibility prevented them gaining the required visual reference with the runway markings and lights. After the first attempt the crew decided to hold to see if the weather would start to clear. After holding for nearly two hours with no improvement in the conditions, the crew decided to make a second approach using a lower "minimum descent altitude" than the published minima in an attempt to increase the chance of becoming visual with the runway. A member of the flight crew caught a glimpse of runway markings just as the approach was aborted and a missed approach procedure was initiated (a "go-around").
With dwindling fuel reserves and conditions deteriorating the crew elected to make a third attempt at landing. They again used the lower "minimum descent altitude". When the aeroplane reached about 110 feet above the runway , the crew saw the runway approach lights and markings and was able to make a successful landing in near-whiteout conditions. There was no damage to the aeroplane and no-one was injured.
The TAIC investigators found that the observed and forecast weather conditions as reported to the crew met the criteria for the crew to continue past the point of safe return. It also found that, given no safe alternative, the actions of the crew in proceeding below the allowable minima for the aerodrome were appropriate, and that the crew had taken all reasonable precautions to mitigate the risks involved in doing so.

However, TAIC found that the risk assessment undertaken when considering the suitability of the Boeing 757 aircraft type for Antarctic operations had not adequately taken into consideration five key points:
- the potential consequences of the weather deteriorating were elevated for the Boeing 757 aircraft because of the lack of alternative approach procedures and aerodromes suitable for the aircraft type
- the weather criteria for an aeroplane passing the point of safe return should consider the presence of low cloud and fog below the main cloud base as a limiting factor
- there is an increased likelihood of weather conditions deteriorating below minima early in the summer season
- the accuracy of instrument approaches should be treated with caution prior to re-calibration flights being conducted early in the summer season
- the Royal New Zealand Air Force Boeing aircraft is capable of completing only one type of instrument approach in Antarctica.

The Commission recommended that the Chief of Air Force review the risk assessment for using the Boeing 757 aircraft for Antarctic flight operations, taking into account these matters and any other matters not considered during the initial risk assessment.


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: TAIC New Zealand
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report
Safety recommendations:

Safety recommendation 024/14 issued 16 December 2014 by TAIC to RNZAF


Photo of NZ7571 courtesy

Christchurch - International (NZCH / CHC)
5 July 2021; (c) Graham Weatherby

Revision history:

03-Mar-2015 19:50 harro Added
03-Mar-2015 20:32 harro Updated [Narrative]
10-Oct-2018 14:54 Aerossurance Updated [Operator, Nature]
14-Sep-2020 22:45 Ron Averes Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description