ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 180319
Last updated: 7 October 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic C150 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna F150M (Reims)
Owner/operator:Busy Bee Aero Engineering
Registration: G-BGEA
C/n / msn: 150-1396
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Netherthorpe Airfield, Thorpe Salvin, near Worksop, Nottinghamshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:Netherthorpe Airfield, Nottinghamshire (EGNF)
Destination airport:Netherthorpe Airfield, Nottinghamshire (EGNF)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Ex-OY-BJK (July 1977- May 1979); to UK registration G-BGEA on 18/5/1979. Written off (damaged beyond repair) 20/7/1995 when crashed on approach to Netherthorpe Airfield, Thorpe Salvin, Near Worksop, Nottinghamshire. According to the following extract from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"The aircraft was returning to Netherthorpe after a local flight of some 30 minutes. Conditions were good, with no significant weather, a surface temperature of 18 degree C, 8 km visibility and a surface wind from 150 degree at 15 knots.

The pilot reported that he had just turned onto base leg for Runway 24 at the circuit height of 800 feet. As usual he applied carburettor heat, reduced power and deployed 20 degree flap as the indicated airspeed decayed. In order to maintain an airspeed of 65 Knots IAS he then tried to increase power but the engine did not respond. He selected carburettor heat off (COLD) and pumped the throttle a number of times but the engine did not 'pick up'. The pilot turned onto finals for Runway 24 at about 300 feet and transmitted a MAYDAY message, announcing his intention to make a forced landing onto the active runway as he thought there was still sufficient power to reach the threshold.

The engine power decayed further and, with the propeller just windmilling and the aircraft descending rapidly, the pilot attempted a restart. This was unsuccessful and so the pilot made his forced landing into a field previously indicated to him as suitable by his instructors, about 1,000 metres from the threshold.

The ground was uneven and the aircraft landed heavily on the left main landing gear leg, which bent, and then on the nose leg, which failed. The fuselage, propeller and right wing were also extensively damaged as the aircraft came to rest.

The airfield emergency team attended promptly as the pilot and his passenger extracted themselves from the aircraft; they assisted the pilot in making the aircraft safe".

Damage sustained to airframe: Fuselage, wings, wing tips and landing gear buckled and bent. All of which were presumably enough to render the airframe as "damaged beyond economic repair", and the registration G-BGEA was cancelled by the CAA on 4/2/2005 as "Permanently withdrawn from use". The wreckage was dumped outside the premises of Busy Bee Aero Engineering, and were still there ten years later, on 22/5/2015, albeit reduced to a fuselage section.


1. AAIB:
2. CAA;
5. G-BGEA Reims-Cessna F.150M, in between portacabin and shed at Sibson, Peterborough 12-09-2010:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

12-Oct-2015 14:04 Dr. John Smith Added
04-Aug-2016 22:06 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Source, Narrative]
26-Jan-2020 13:28 Uli Elch Updated [Aircraft type, Location]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description