ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 181805
Last updated: 9 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic SV4 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
SNCAN Stampe SV-4B
Owner/operator:Philip Hugh Meeson
Registration: G-FORD
MSN: 129
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location:East Tytherley, Test Valley, Hampshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:Old Sarum Airfield, Wiltshire (EGLS)
Destination airport:Farm strip at East Tytherley, Hampshire
Investigating agency: AAIB
SNCAN Stampe SV-4B G-FORD: Substantially damaged 16-7-1996 when crashed on approach to East Tytherley, Test Valley, Hampshire. According to the following extract from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"After a short downwind leg, the pilot commenced a right hand finals turn for a northerly landing; he remembers that he established a glide approach at between 50 and 55 knots and that the aircraft was performing normally. He can recall seeing the landing strip and think that he may have flown through the centre-line, but cannot remember anything from that point until the aircraft was on the ground.

The passenger confirms the pilot's account of the events up to the finals turn. Thereafter, he can remember that the aircraft seemed low and slow and was fairly close to some trees. He did not have his hands or feet on the controls and could see the landing strip which seemed quite close.

Suddenly, he was aware of a burst of power from the engine and shortly afterwards heard a scream from the rear cockpit; his next recollection is of the ploughed field coming up towards him. During the last moments of flight, he thought that the aircraft was upright with no substantial bank or yaw.

Both occupants were wearing five-point harnesses in addition to an aerobatic lap strap; they were both wearing soft helmets. Neither of them were unconscious but the passenger had badly injured his leg and they were both aware of the sound of dripping fuel. The pilot helped the passenger to release his straps and they both crawled clear of the aircraft.

Once clear, the passenger told the pilot to go for help and the pilot went to the owner's house to raise the alarm. At the house, the owner's wife took control of the situation; she alerted the emergency services and drove to the main road where she left the pilot to direct the rescuers. She then went to find the passenger and stayed with him, rendering first aid until the medical services arrived.

Once they arrived, an assessment was made that the injuries to the passenger were serious and a helicopter was alerted to fly him to hospital."

Despite the above accident, the registration G-FORD was never cancelled, and according to Skysports Engineering website (see link #3) the aircraft was substantially rebuilt in 2006


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

29-Nov-2015 10:29 JINX Added
27-May-2016 18:51 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Operator, Location, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
14-Nov-2020 19:26 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Source, Narrative, Accident report]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description