ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 183115
Last updated: 20 November 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic C150 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna F150K (Reims)
Owner/operator:Brian John Monks t/a B & M Motors
Registration: G-AYEY
C/n / msn: F150-0553
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Exbury, Hampshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:
Destination airport:Goodwood Aerodrome, Chichester, West Sussex (EGHR)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Written off (damaged beyond repair) 24/6/1988 when overturned during a emergency/forced landing (caused by an electrical failure and a fire/smoke in the cockpit) at Exbury, Hampshire. According to the following extracts from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"The aircraft had been flown to a maintenance organisation on 20 June 1988 in order to have its time expired engine replaced by a similar half-life unit which had been removed from a storm damaged airframe. On completion of the engine change, it was intended that the aircraft would be ferried back to its operating base at Goodwood by an assistant flying instructor, accompanied by a pupil pilot who wished to increase his dual training experience in flying cross country.

Once established en route at 1,500 feet, the instructor made contact with Southampton Air Traffic Control (ATC), who asked him to call again as he passed Portsmouth. Shortly after that call, the radio ceased to function, and although the instructor changed the radio fuse, the radio unit ceased to function again almost immediately. Also at about this time, the pilots became aware that the fin mounted beacon was also not functioning. They accordingly switched off the battery/alternator switch, and continued their flight without electrical power.

Approximately four minutes after the battery/alternator switch was set to OFF, the pilot became aware of a strong smell of burning, accompanied by smoke in the cockpit. In view of the fact that all electrical power had already been switched off, the instructor decided that the safest course of action was to switch off the fuel also, and carry out a forced landing.

However, the field selected for the forced landing, which, from the air, appeared to be a normal patch of grass, actually contained a standing crop approximately five feet tall. After a short run through this crop, the aircraft nosed over and came to rest inverted. The two occupants evacuated the aircraft with little or no injury."

Damaged sustained to airframe: Per the AAIB report "general damage to wings, fuselage, landing gear, and engine mountings. Heat damage to certain instruments". All of which were presumably enough to render the airframe as "damaged beyond economical repair". However, the CAA records note the G-AYEY was sold on to a new owner in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, just over a year later on 26/10/1989. The registration was only belatedly cancelled by the CAA on 2/3/1999. almost eleven years after its accident


1. AAIB;
2. CAA: History of G-AYEY 1970-1981:
3. CAA: History of G-AYEY 1981-1983:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

05-Jan-2016 17:51 Dr.John Smith Added
05-Jan-2016 19:50 Dr.John Smith Updated [Cn, Operator, Narrative]
25-Jan-2020 18:30 Uli Elch Updated [Aircraft type]
20-Nov-2020 18:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Source, Accident report]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description