ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 186878
Last updated: 17 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:09:38 UTC
Type:Silhouette image of generic RF6 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Slingsby T67M Mk II Firefly
Registration: G-BNSO
MSN: 2021
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:off Mains Lane, near Whitwell-on-the-Hill, Ryedale, North Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)
Departure airport:Full Sutton Airfield, North Yorkshire (EGNU)
Destination airport:Full Sutton Airfield, North Yorkshire (EGNU)
Investigating agency: AAIB
A Slingsby T67M Mk.II Firefly was destroyed after it impacted into a field off Mains Lane, near Whitwell-on-the-Hill, Ryedale, North Yorkshire.Both occupants were killed. Some press reports state that the two persons on board had hired the aircraft in order to practice their aerobatics skills. According to a press release from the North Yorkshire Police:

"Light aircraft crash near Castle Howard in Ryedale

Two men have died following a light aircraft crash near Castle Howard in the Ryedale area of North Yorkshire. North Yorkshire Police received a number of calls from members of the public at around 10.40 am on the morning of Saturday 30 April 2016.

The aircraft crashed in fields between Castle Howard and the A64. The Air Accident Investigation Branch have been informed. Roads in the area have been closed to allow emergency services to deal with the incident and members of the public are advised to keep away from the area. We will release further information when we are able."

UPDATE: The official AAIB report into the accident was published on 11-5-2017, and the following is an excerpt from that...

"The pilot and a friend arrived at Full Sutton airfield at about 08:30 hours. The pilot had booked G-BNSO for two flights that day; the first was for general handling and aerobatics and the second, later, was to take family members flying. The weather was good with a light westerly wind, good visibility in excess of 10 km and broken cloud at about 3,000 feet.

Both the pilot and his passenger were students on the Tucano phase of their RAF flying training and had flown the Grob Tutor, a light piston-engine aircraft, during their initial flying training.

With the assistance of other club members, they pulled the aircraft out of the hangar and then went into the club house and completed the booking-out form. The Chief Flying Instructor (CFI) joined them at the aircraft and checked the fuel and oil levels whilst the pilot carried out the pre-flight inspection, watched by his passenger. Whilst he did not look at the fuel gauges, the CFI estimated that there was 1.5 hours fuel in the left wing tank and 1.0 hours fuel in the right wing tank, based on the engine consuming 45 litres of fuel per hour whilst performing aerobatics.

Another pilot, who had met the G-BNSO pilot and passenger when they had first arrived at the club, was taxiing back to the parking area having flown two circuits when he heard them call for a radio check and airfield information.

There was no reply, so he passed them the information he had received earlier. That pilot switched off his engine at 09:15 hours and by that time G-BNSO was at the holding point carrying out the power checks. Shortly after this, the aircraft was seen to backtrack Runway 22 and depart.

A full radar track and Mode C heights of the aircraft were recorded as it climbed through 200 feet after takeoff and, following a right turn, tracked towards Castle Howard. Witnesses in the vicinity of the southern part of Castle Howard estate heard or saw the aircraft. A couple, who were close to the scene in their garden, saw the aircraft perform a loop. On the downward half of the manoeuvre the aircraft appeared to enter a spin, during which the engine was initially heard to “cut out” but then it appeared to restart, before cutting out again.

The witnesses lost sight of the aircraft as it descended behind the roof of an outbuilding but they then heard the sound of an impact. Other witnesses reported a similar “corkscrewing” motion before the aircraft struck the surface of a ploughed field, initially with the nose and right wing, in a steep nose-down attitude. The pilot and passenger, who were fatally injured were each found to be holding the top part of their respective control sticks, which had broken off in their hands. The pilot was holding the left stick with both hands and the passenger the right stick with just his right hand".

Registration G-BNSO cancelled by the CAA on 25-7-5016 as "Destroyed"


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:
9. .,,

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report



Photo of G-BNSO courtesy

22 April 2006; (c) Malcolm Clarke

Revision history:

30-Apr-2016 13:16 harro Added
30-Apr-2016 16:16 Geno Updated [Location, Phase, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source]
02-May-2016 14:40 Dr.John Smith Updated [Operator, Location, Nature, Source, Embed code, Narrative]
02-May-2016 14:45 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Source, Embed code]
02-May-2016 16:49 harro Updated [Operator]
12-May-2017 22:33 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Operator, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
12-May-2017 22:34 Dr.John Smith Updated [Source, Narrative]
12-May-2017 22:53 Dr.John Smith Updated [Source]
12-May-2017 22:54 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Source]
13-May-2017 01:08 Dr.John Smith Updated [Embed code]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description