ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 189801
Last updated: 26 November 2019
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:30-SEP-2006
Time:18:00
Type:Silhouette image of generic PA38 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk
Owner/operator:Private
Registration: G-BGWU
C/n / msn: 38-79A0788
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
Location:Full Sutton Airfield, East Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Nature:Private
Departure airport:Full Sutton, East Yorkshire (EGNU)
Destination airport:Full Sutton, East Yorkshire (EGNU)
Investigating agency: AAIB
Narrative:
Aircraft written off (damaged beyond repair) at Full Sutton Airfield, East Yorkshire on landing on 30-09-2006. AAIB found damage to undercarriage due to a previous unreported heavy landing. No injuries reported to the two persons on board (pilot and one passenger). According to the following excerpt from the official AAIB report:

"After a reportedly normal touchdown on the main wheels on Runway 22, the aircraft veered to the left after the nose wheel made contact with the ground. Despite the application of opposite rudder and right brake, the aircraft continued to turn left, departed the runway and traversed the corner of a small grass bank surrounding an irrigation pond. The impact with the bank resulted in the separation of the nose and left landing gear and damage to the propeller, left wing and fuselage. The aircraft came to rest on a taxiway at the holding point for Runway 22.

An inspection of the aircraft after the incident revealed that the nose wheel steering mechanism and torque link were intact and that the left landing gear main attachment bolt had failed. Examination of the bolt showed it had failed in a region where the bolt had been deformed. Approximately 65% of the fracture surface showed evidence of crack progression due to a fatigue mechanism, with the remaining 35% exhibiting the characteristics of an overload failure.

Discolouration of the fatigue fracture surface indicated that the crack had been present in the bolt for some time before it failed. The most probable cause of the deformation was considered to have been a heavy landing, and this may also have been the initiating event for the fatigue crack. The aircraft logbook contained no record of such an event so it was not possible to determine for how long the damage had been present prior to the accident".

Nature of Damage sustained to airframe: Per the AAIB report "Damage to landing gear, left wing, propeller and fuselage". All of which were presumably enough to render the airframe as "beyond economic repair", as the registration G-BGWU was cancelled by the CAA on 28-09-2007 as "Permanently withdrawn from use"

Sources:

1. AAIB: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422ec22ed915d13740000e7/Piper_PA-38-11_2_Tomahawk__G-BGWU_02-07.pdf
2. CAA: https://siteapps.caa.co.uk/g-info/rk=BGWU
3. http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/G-BGWU.html
4. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/386432
5. G-BGWU Piper PA.38-112 Tomahawk at Badminton, Glos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78213075@N04/7892887912
.

Accident investigation:
cover
  
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Duration:
Download report: Final report


Revision history:

Date/timeContributorUpdates
04-Sep-2016 00:29 Dr.John Smith Added
04-Sep-2016 00:30 Dr.John Smith Updated [Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description