ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 203194
Last updated: 19 November 2019
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:12:00 LT
Type:de Havilland DH.84 Dragon
Owner/operator:Kevin Parer t/a Parer’s Air Transport Co
Registration: VH-AEA
C/n / msn: 6073
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Salamaua, Morobe Province -   Papua New Guinea
Phase: Standing
Departure airport:Salamaua, Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea
Destination airport:Wau, Papua New Guinea
First registered (C of R 4950) 23.3.34 as G-ACOR to Graham Mackinnon, Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Named “Fiona” after his daughter. First flown at Hatfield 16.5.34; C of A 4292 issued 19.5.34. Operated by British Continental Airways Ltd, Croydon Airport, London. Named “St Christopher”. Flew scheduled services within England and to the continent. By 3.36 Owned by British Airways Ltd, Gatwick Airport, Surrey. From 8.3.37 Operated by Northern and Scottish Airways Ltd, Renfrew Airport, Glasgow.

Early in 2.38, Purchased by Kevin Parer, Wewak, New Guinea and on 22.2.38 Australian Civil Aviation Board allocated registration VH-AEA to this DH.84 for Kevin Parer. UK registration G-ACOR cancelled the next day (23.2.38). On 10.6.38 Registration application to Kevin Parer t/a Wewak Air Transport, Wewak, New Guinea. Formally registered on 23.6.38 as VH-AEA. 23.6.38 (same day) Australian C of A issued.

28.11.38 (approximately): Damaged in heavy landing at Wewak, pilot Kevin Parer unhurt. Repaired between December 1938 and September 1939 by company engineer E. W. Haynes. In September 1939 there was a change of operating name to Parer's Air Transport Co, Wewak.

On 21.1.42, Destroyed by Enemy Action at Salamaua, New Guinea. Kevin Parer was killed at 12 noon by Japanese fighter strafing attack which also destroyed Mandated Airlines Dragon VH-USA. Pilot Ernest Clarke, pilot of Mandated Airlines' Dragon VH-USA also destroyed at Salamaua that day, later wrote that he and Kevin Parer were both getting ready to take off for Wau at noon. Parer was in his cockpit but having trouble getting an engine started and called Clarke over to help swing the propeller: "I had just got hold of the propeller when Japanese fighters roared in about 50 feet overhead. A burst of machine gun fire from another sprayed around us. I dropped under the shelter of the engine. I got up and saw Kevin get out of his seat and dash to the back of the cabin where he was hit and fell. The Japs were still coming. I covered Kevin with a blanket and made for a shelter. When the Japs were clear I ran out to the plane, which was now on fire. I tried to get Kevin out but I couldn't manage it. The Japs saw me and back and let me have it. A couple of bullets ripped across my legs above the knees but they were nothing - only shallow flesh wounds. But for Kevin's engine not starting, we would both have been shot down in the air."

Clarke also received severe burns to his hands from his attempt to drag Kevin Parer from his burning Dragon. Natives evacuated him to Kokoda and then flown to hospital in Australia. On 21.1.42 (same day) DCA inspector V.W. Burgess sent a cable to DCA Head Office from Salamaua, listing civil aircraft damaged by a Japanese air raid on Salamaua aerodrome that day. His assessment of Dragons was:
VH-USA repairable
VH-UVB destroyed
VH-AEA destroyed

As a result, on 11.3.42 VH-AEA was struck-off Civil Register as "destroyed by enemy actionW



Revision history:

21-Dec-2017 21:16 Dr. John Smith Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description