ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 206180
Last updated: 3 December 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Wicko GM-1 Warferry
Owner/operator:8 AACU Royal Air Force (8 AACU RAF)
Registration: ES947
MSN: 7
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Penarth Point, Cardiff, South Glamorgan -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:RAF Northolt, Middlesex
Destination airport:RAF St. Athan, Cardiff, South Glamorgan
First registered [C of R 8786] on 9.11.38 as G-AFKU to Foster Wickner Aircraft Co Ltd., Eastleigh, Southampton, Hampshire. C of A 6648 issued November 1938. Sold on and re-registered [C of R 8786/2] 13.6.39 to Frank L Dean, Cardiff (aircraft based at Pengam Moors, Cardiff).

Civil registration G-AFKU cancelled 1.6.41 when impressed into military service as ES947.

Written off (destroyed) 26.11.42 when the plane struck the cable of a barrage balloon over Penarth Point, Cardiff, South Glamorgan in bad weather conditions. (Probably the ASRS Pontoon, Barry Island, Glamorgan Barrage Balloon). Passenger Group Captain Evzen Cizek was killed, pilot Josef Jaske was seriously injured. The aircraft apparently crashed into Cardiff Bay, near Cardiff Docks. According to a rough translation of a French website of the biography of Josef Jaske (see link #5)

"On November 26, 1942, while piloting a Wicko GM-1 (ES947) to attend the funeral of a Czech pilot (Sgt Frantisek Remes of 53 OTU, RAF) his plane struck a barrage of balloons over Cardiff after encountering bad weather. The aircraft crashed into the sea near the docks causing the death of Group Captain Cizek, who had taken a seat in the aircraft as a passenger. Himself seriously injured but safe, Jaske spent eight months in the hospital before being able to return to service. In July 1943, after recovering from his injuries, he left for Canada as assistant to the Czech Air Attaché."


8. [Czech text]

Revision history:

14-Feb-2018 18:25 Dr. John Smith Added
20-Nov-2018 19:36 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description