ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 218605
Last updated: 14 October 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic be2 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c
Owner/operator:Royal Aircraft Factory, Farnborough
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:RFC Shoreham, Sussex -   United Kingdom
Phase: Take off
Departure airport:RFC Shoreham, Sussex
Destination airport:Farnborough Airfield, Farnborough, Hampshire
12.7.15: Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c, Royal Aircraft Factory, Farnborough. Written off (destroyed) when crashed after take-off and caught fire, RFC Shoreham, Sussex. Of the two persons on board, one - Henry Deakin Liley (aged 26) - was killed. The other - 2nd Lt Frank Widenham Goodden (pilot) - was injured. According to a contemporary report in Flight magazine (July 16, 1915 page 519 - see link #3)

"A Fatality at Shoreham,
ON Monday last an accident occurred at Shoreham, by which Mr. Henry D. Liley, a civilian tester attached to the Royal Aircraft Factory, lost his life. He was a passenger on a machine piloted by Second Lieut. Goodden, R.F.C. According to a written statement by the pilot, who was too unwell to attend the inquest, after climbing to a height of about 150 ft., the engine stopped and a gust of wind lifted his right plane. Finding it impossible to right this tendency, he decided on a left turn, which entailed flying down into the wind.

For a few moments the machine felt normal, but another gust of wind struck it, rendering it uncontrollable and causing it to dive nose foremost to the earth. The machine subsequently caught fire. When extricated from the wreckage, Liley was extensively burnt about the arms and legs, but medical evidence showed that death was due to a fractured skull, and must have been instantaneous.

The jury returned a verdict of accidental death in accordance with the evidence."


3. Flight magazine (July 16 1915 page 519):

Revision history:

26-Nov-2018 19:18 Dr.John Smith Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description