ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 226288
Last updated: 17 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic bttl model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Fairey Battle Mk I
Owner/operator:226 Squadron Royal Air Force (226 Sqn RAF)
Registration: K9183
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Hirzenhaff Farm, south of Bettendorf -   Luxembourg
Phase: Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)
Departure airport:Champagne Aerodrome, Rheims, France
Destination airport:
Fairey Battle Mk.1 K9183 (MQ-R) of 226 Squadron, RAF: Lost on combat operations - officially described as "Battle K9183 crash landed at Bettendorf, Luxembourg, 10 May 1940". Airborne 17:00 hrs from Reims/Champagne. As it was impossible to provide fighter escort the bombers were briefed to make a very low approach to target and attack from as little as 250 foot (80 meters) using bombs with a delayed fuse.

Intense small arms fire was encountered and three Battles of the first wave were shot down. A similar fate befell the second wave during the afternoon. Of the 32 Battles that took part that day, 13 were lost and all the rest damaged.

Battle K9183 was reportedly shot down by small arms fire whilst flying at five feet. Hit by ground fire during dive-bombing of enemy columns between Wallendorf and Diekirch and crashed at Hirzenhaff Farm, south of Bettendorf, at 18.30 hrs. Of the three crew, one died of injuries, the other two captured, taken as PoWs

Crew of Battle K9183:
Flying Officer (Pilot) Douglas A. Cameron, RAF 39455, age 25, died of injuries 13 May 1940, buried at Diekirch Communal Cemetery, Luxembourg
Sgt C.S. Hart, captured and taken as PoW, interned in Camps 8B/L1, PoW No.13092
AC.1 John G. Ward, captured and taken as PoW, interned in Camp L1, from whence he subsequently escaped 17 April 1941, made a "home run" (safe return to UK via Odessa) arriving 21 March 1945. Awarded Military Cross.

Flying Officer Cameron was very badly wounded and died three days later during surgery to save arm in Diekirch hospital.


1. Royal Air Force Aircraft K1000-K9999 (James J Halley, Air Britain, 1976 p 75)
2. The Battle File by Sidney Shail (Air Britain 1997 p 130)
3. National Archives (PRO Kew) File AIR 81/234:


Fairey Battles of No. 226 Squadron RAF undergoing servicing on the flight line at Reims-Champagne. The aircraft on the right, K9183 'MQ-R', was shot down by ground aircraft fire while attacking enemy columns south-west of Luxembourg on 10 May 1940. Its pilot died of his wounds, but the other two crew members survived. Fairey Battle - Reims-Champagne - Royal Air Force- France, 1939-1940. C1115

Revision history:

17-Jun-2019 21:55 Dr. John Smith Added
18-Jun-2019 02:44 stehlik49 Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description