ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 229472
Last updated: 29 September 2019
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic A333 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Airbus A330-343
Owner/operator:Singapore Airlines
Registration: 9V-SSE
C/n / msn: 1597
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 203
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Location:over Myanmar -   Myanmar
Phase: En route
Nature:International Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Dhaka-Shahjalal International Airport (DAC/VGHS)
Destination airport:Singapore-Changi International Airport (SIN/WSSS)
Investigating agency: TSIB Singapore
The Airbus 330-300 aircraft was on a scheduled passenger flight from Dhaka, Bangladesh, to Singapore. It took off from Shahjalal International Airport at 16:00 hours. The PIC was the Pilot Monitoring (PM) and the senior first officer the Pilot Flying (PF).
While the aircraft was climbing through 30,000 feet at 16:30 hours, the flight crew heard a loud bang and felt airframe vibrations. In accordance with the operatorís standard operating procedures, the PIC immediately took over control of the aircraft and assumed the role of PF, and the senior first officer assumed the role of PM. The PIC instructed the senior first officer to carry out remedy actions for the Electronic Centralised Aircraft Monitoring (ECAM) messages. The ECAM remedy actions entailed the shutting down of the No.1 engine. However, even after the remedy actions were completed and the No.1 RR Trent 772B-60 engine was shut down, the airframe vibrations continued to be felt.
The aircraft was flying in Myanmar airspace at that time. The flight crew made a PAN call to Yangon Air Traffic Control (ATC) and requested
clearance to descend to 25,000 feet. Subsequently, the aircraft diverted to and landed in Mandalay International Airport at 17:02 hours without further incident.
Immediately after landing, the airportís rescue and firefighting service conducted an inspection of the aircraft and reported an oil leak from the
No.1 engine. The aircraft was towed to a remote bay where passengers were disembarked. There was no injury to any person.

TSB Singapore Conclusions:
1. The failure of the fan blade with more than 75% missing material originated from a fatigue crack that initiated at the acute corner of the inner convex
surface bond.
2. The fuse system in the engine front bearing housing operated fully and separated completely as designed for a Fan Blade Off event, although the
second fuse had activated slower than expected due to the release of a partial fan blade section.
3. Despite the complete functioning of the two fuses in the engine front bearing housing, significant airframe vibrations persisted due to shaft bending
coupled with the engine windmilling effect.
4. The C-Scan ultrasonic inspection detected the defect in the event fan blade, but the defect was accepted because the defect feature was below the
rejection threshold size.
5. Though the inlet and outlet LP fuel pump pipes had been redesigned, cracking in those pipes still occurred. The presence of fuel released from
the cracked inlet and outlet fuel pipes of the LP fuel pump could be a safety hazard.


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: TSIB Singapore
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 1 year and 7 months
Download report: Final report


Photo: TSB Singapore

Revision history:

29-Sep-2019 07:48 harro Added
29-Sep-2019 07:51 harro Updated [Narrative, Photo]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description