ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 235347
Last updated: 19 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic ju88 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Junkers Ju-88D-1
Owner/operator:Wekusta 1 Luftwaffe
Registration: 1579
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Frozen Gulf of Finland, 10 km WSW of Lavansaari -   Russia
Phase: Combat
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
The spring had been delayed and the Gulf of Finland was still ice-covered when, on 21 April 1942, the Ju 88 D-1, B7+OA (W.Nr. 1579) of Wekusta 1, with Lt. Werner Storz (pilot), Reg.Rat Wilhelm Dünnweber (meteorologist), Uffz. Georg Hahn (flight engineer) and Uffz Hein Esswein (radio), was damaged by Soviet AA fire from Lavensaari Island. The 931.AA battery fired only three shots !

As a result, they made a belly landing on the weakened ice 10 km WSW of Lavansaari. While Dünnweber and Esswein were unhurt, Storz was injured and could not walk and Hahn was seriously wounded with two broken legs. Because of the ice, it proved impossible to ferry the injured to the distant shore in the rubber dinghy. As a result, while Storz took care of Hahn at the wrecked aircraft, it was decided that Dünnweber and the wireless operator should walk south towards the coast over the melting snow and partly flooded ice to alert their Staffel. This march took them ten hours but a call for help was set in action and a Fi 156 Storch STOL aircraft was sent to pick up the two crew members left behind on the ice. Unfortunately, bad weather delayed the rescue operation for two days and when a landing at the site was finally made, Hahn was found shot dead, while Storz had disappeared without trace.

Six months later, Storz reported to his Staffel and the full story finally emerged. Apparently, while Dünnweber and Esswein were away, a Russian platoon had reached the site, Hahn was killed and Storz taken prisoner. As a PoW he was subjected to many torturous interrogations and to save his life declared himself willing to act clandestinely as a Soviet agent in German uniform. He was trained as a wireless operator and, on 27 October, was dropped, equipped with a Russian radio set, from a Soviet aircraft by parachute behind German lines but reported to a friendly unit.

After further missions under a false name, to protect him against reprisals if re-captured, he was posted to Wekusta 1 Ob.d.L. in the West, promoted to Oblt.and assigned to Wetterkette Stavanger. On a test flight in August 1943 his aircraft, Ju 88 D-1, D7+GH, was attacked by a Mosquito of 333 (Norwegian) Sqn RAF and then collided with a high-tension line over Lys Fjord and crashed in the sea with Storz and his crew being killed.



Revision history:

21-Apr-2020 12:50 Laurent Rizzotti Added
28-Apr-2020 19:20 DB Updated [Operator, Other fatalities, Source, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description