ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 138831
Last updated: 26 August 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:17:15 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic DR40 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Robin DR.400/180R
Owner/operator:London Gliding Club (Proprietary) Ltd
Registration: G-EKOE
MSN: 1484
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Dunstable Airfield, Dunstable, Bedfordshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Taxi
Departure airport:Dunstable Airfield, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Destination airport:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Written off (damaged beyond repair) 7 May 1987 when a fuel leak ignited whilst taxying at Dunstable Airfield, Dunstable, Bedfordshire. The aircraft caught fire, and was completely burnt out. Both persons on board vacated the aircraft safely and without injury. According to the following extract from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"The aircraft, which was normally employed as a glider tug, taxied across the airfield for a distance of some 800 metres prior to departing in order to pick up a glider which had landed away from Dunstable Airfield. After reaching the take off area of the airfield, the aircraft was shut down whilst preparations for this recovery were made.

When the pilot attempted to restart the engine some five minutes later, it would not restart, so he elected to crank over the engine, in order to vent the cylinders of excess fuel, but this time with the electric fuel pump switched off. A second attempt was then made to start the engine, but with the same lack of response. The pilot later reported that the engine was turning over quite normally on the starter motor but without once firing up.

At this stage, the pilot and his passenger became aware of hazy smoke or vapour to the left of the canopy, which, within seconds, turned into flames. Without any discussions, both occupants quickly vacated the aircraft. Flames could then be seen coming over the left wing trailing edge, and around the fuel filler cap. By this time, both on board the aircraft were clear of the aircraft, and flames could be seen over the engine cowling, and the fuselage was also well alight, with the entire aircraft being burnt out within minutes."

Damage sustained to aircraft: Per the AAIB report "aircraft completely destroyed". As a result, the registration G-EKOE was cancelled by the CAA four months later, on 17 August 1987 as aircraft "destroyed"


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

28-Sep-2011 10:04 Uli Elch Added
24-Feb-2015 14:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Date, Time, Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Operator, Total fatalities, Total occupants, Other fatalities, Location, Country, Phase, Nature, Source, Narrative]
07-Dec-2015 22:47 Dr.John Smith Updated [Operator, Departure airport, Source, Narrative]
03-Jan-2016 23:38 Dr.John Smith Updated [Narrative]
03-Jan-2016 23:39 Dr.John Smith Updated [Narrative]
20-May-2016 16:27 Dr.John Smith Updated [Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description