ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 167016
Last updated: 4 April 2019
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:17:02 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic TOBA model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Socata TB10 Tobago
Owner/operator:Trustees of the G-POPI Flying Group
Registration: G-POPI
C/n / msn: 315
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Forest Road, near Guernsey Airport, Guernsey, Channel Islands -   United Kingdom
Phase: Initial climb
Departure airport:Guernsey Airport, Channel Islands (GCI/EGJB)
Destination airport:Seething, Norfolk (EGSJ)
A single engine airplane struck a greenhouse in Forest Road, Guernsey, shortly after takeoff from Guernsey Airport. BBC Radio Guernsey understands the occupants are John and Lynda Shaw. Both were taken to the Princess Elizabeth Hospital in Guernsey and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Mr Shaw said: “It was just about five minutes after we took off that smoke started filling the cockpit. There was no visibility and I knew we had to make a forced landing. I did not have time to think whether we were going to die, or about anything else - I just knew I had to try and do those things that I had been taught, to get us out of difficulty. Obviously, it was an extremely uncomfortable situation to be in. We’re just glad to be alive.”

Mr Shaw was discharged from hospital yesterday, but his wife is expected to remain in hospital for several days. No-one else was injured. According to some sources, the main injury sustained was to the pilot, who suffered a black eye and bruising

Emergency services worked late into the night to deal with a fuel leak from the wreckage, which could have led to an explosion. Some nearby homes were evacuated while the plane was made safe, but residents were allowed home by 21:00 BST.

The airport was closed for just over an hour while the Airport Fire and Rescue Service dealt with the crash. Airport director Colin Le Ray said the single-engine private aircraft reported an incident to the east of the airfield shortly after take-off.

"The aircraft was actually holding on a tree vertically down with its tail in the air... one of the wings had completely severed during the accident and the second wing was partially severed," said Me Le Ray.

The aircraft has been released by the insurers to be used by the Airport Fire and Rescue Service for training and has been moved to its drill site to the north of the runway.


5. AAIB:
6. CAA:

Revision history:

17-Jun-2014 17:30 harro Added
17-Jun-2014 18:25 harro Updated [Embed code]
17-Jun-2014 18:36 salt_cay Updated [Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Embed code]
17-Jun-2014 19:03 Geno Updated [Source]
18-Jun-2014 05:28 harro Updated [Embed code, Damage]
18-Jun-2014 16:33 Geno Updated [Source, Embed code]
19-Jun-2014 16:17 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Location, Nature, Source, Embed code, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:15 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Location, Embed code, Damage, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:20 Dr. John Smith Updated [Source, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:22 Dr. John Smith Updated [Destination airport, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:24 Anon. Updated [Source, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:26 Dr. John Smith Updated [Destination airport, Narrative]
23-Jun-2014 19:32 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Narrative]
30-Sep-2015 20:42 Dr. John Smith Updated [Location, Destination airport, Source]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description