ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 182381
Last updated: 23 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:20:38 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic A319 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Airbus A319-112
Owner/operator:Air India
Registration: VT-SCQ
MSN: 3918
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 115
Other fatalities:1
Aircraft damage: Minor
Location:Mumbai-Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM/VABB) -   India
Phase: Taxi
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Mumbai-Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM/VABB)
Destination airport:Hyderabad-Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD/VOHS)
Investigating agency: AAIB India
The Air India Airbus A319 aircraft VT-SCQ was scheduled to operate flight AI619 (Mumbai - Hyderabad). Both cockpit crew members were earlier scheduled to operate Mumbai-Rajkot-Mumbai on an A320 aircraft and Mumbai-Hyderabad–Mumbai on the A319 aircraft. The first round trip was uneventful but the flight arrived on stand at Mumbai with a delay.
The aircraft reached Bay V30R at 15:05 UTC. Scheduled departure tmie for AI619 to Hyderabad was 14:00 UTC. The captain and copilot deplaned quickly and rushed to Bay V28L on which the aircraft VT-SCQ was parked to operate AI619.
Another pilot of Air India was on board flight AI619 as a passenger and was allowed to enter the flight deck by the cabin crew member in charge. He took clearance from ATC and fed the data in the flight computer (MCDU) before the captain entered in the cockpit.
Pushback was started at around 15:15 UTC and engine no. 2 and 1 were started after obtaining clearance from the ground service engineer during pushback. After reaching the required position on taxiway B4, the ground service engineer informed the pilot on intercom that pushback was complete and instructed them to put the brakes on. As advised, the parking brakes were put on by the captain. The captain then asked the ground service engineer to disconnect the headset and the engineer replied affirmative. There were 4 persons around the aircraft, the service engineer, an engineering helper, a Ground Support Department (GSD) helper and the tow truck operator. The chocks were placed on the nose wheel by the GSD helper. The engineering helper disconnected the tow bar from the truck first and then subsequently from the aircraft. The tow truck driver took the truck to the right side of the aircraft at 90 degrees facing the terminal building. Thereafter the engineering helper started connecting the tow bar to the truck.
Meanwhile the ground service engineer asked the GSD helper to take the chocks off; the GSD helper took the chocks off the nose wheel and then put it in the tow truck.
Thereafter the GSD helper started assisting the engineering helper in connecting the tow bar with the truck. The captain confirmed with co-pilot for right hand side clearance as the ground personnel were on the right hand side of the aircraft for which the co-pilot responded affirmative. The pilot then put the parking brakes off, switched on the taxi light and gave power to taxi. However at that time all four ground personnel were still around the nose of the aircraft.
The ground service engineer removed the nose wheel steering pin and was standing at the same position and was probably observing the GSD helper and engineering helper trying to connect the tow bar with the truck. Meanwhile, the aircraft started moving with engine power. The ground service engineer was standing at the same point, facing back towards the aircraft with headset on his head, not realising that the aircraft had started moving. The no.2 engine came very close to the ground service engineer and sucked him. All the other ground personnel ran away from the aircraft and the tow truck driver drove the tow truck away from the aircraft leaving the tow bar. The nose wheel of the aircraft hit the tow bar and the tow bar got stuck in the right hand main landing gear wheel. The pilot stated that he heard a 'thud' sound twice and after the second 'thud' sound, he immediately stopped the aircraft. He also stated that someone from the right hand side came running towards the aircraft and signalled to shut off the engine. The pilot shut off the no.2 engine first and then shut off the no. 1 engine. After nine minutes ground personnel connected the intercom headset and appraised the pilot about the situation. The accident happened at around 15:18 UTC. The ground service engineer received fatal injuries.

Probable Cause: "Non adherence to Standard Operating procedures (SOP) & delayed departure of flight due improper rostering of crew, resulted in the accident."


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB India
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

16-Dec-2015 18:29 RRohan86 Added
16-Dec-2015 18:31 harro Updated [Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Location, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
04-Jun-2017 20:04 harro Updated [Time, Phase, Source, Narrative]
04-Jun-2017 20:05 harro Updated [Total occupants]
11-Jun-2017 16:07 whitehark Updated [Country, Narrative]
11-Jun-2017 16:07 harro Updated [Country, Narrative]
11-Jun-2017 16:08 harro Updated [Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description