ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 18692
Last updated: 18 September 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic C337 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna T337D Turbo Super Skymaster
Owner/operator:Thomas John Brammer & David Terrell Colley
Registration: G-BEDL
MSN: 337-1178
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Leatherhead Common, near A425/M25 junction, Leatherhead, Surrey -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:Bournemouth Airport (BOH/EGHH)
Destination airport:Biggin Hill, Kent (BQH/EGKB)
Investigating agency: AAIB
On the morning of 3 October 1998 Cessna Turbo Super Skymaster G-BEDL was being flown from Bournemouth, where it had undergone work, to Biggin Hill, where it was to be stored. As the Cessna did not have a Certificate of Airworthiness, the special rules for this flight meant that it could not carry passengers. However when it left Bournemouth on board were two pilots, neither of whom considered themselves to be the commander of the aircraft, and two passengers (of the illegality of whose presence the pilots said they were unaware).

According to the following excerpt from the official AAIB report into the accident:

"The aircraft departed Bournemouth at 11:13 hours with Pilot A in the left-hand seat as the handling pilot and Pilot B, who was not an instructor, in the right-hand seat. The weather was fine and the flight progressed without incident until the aircraft was overhead at Farnham, Surrey, some 35 miles from Biggin Hill, when the front engine began to run roughly and then stopped.

Attempts to restart the engine were unsuccessful and the decision was taken to continue to Biggin Hill despite availability of Farnborough airfield close by. At this stage both fuel gauges were reading full. Some five minutes later and thirty minutes after departure from Bournemouth, the rear engine failed and could not be restarted.

The handling pilot lowered the landing gear and flaps and positioned the aircraft for a forced landing in a field adjacent to the M25 motorway. During the latter stages of the approach, after the non-handling pilot had transmitted a MAYDAY call, the aircraft struck a tree causing the separation of a large section of the left wing.

On impact, both pilots suffered significant injuries but the passengers in the rear of the aircraft escaped without serious injury. There was no post impact fire and the emergency services attended the scene promptly."

Damage sustained to airframe: Per the AAIB report "Substantial damage to left wing, landing gear and fuselage". As a result the registration G-BEDL was cancelled by the CAA on 3 June 1999.


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:
4. G-BEDL at Biggin Hill 29-5-1994:

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report

Revision history:

17-May-2008 11:10 ASN archive Added
11-Nov-2012 13:27 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Operator, Total fatalities, Total occupants, Other fatalities, Location, Country, Phase, Nature, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Embed code, Damage, Narrative]
27-Nov-2014 16:47 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Source, Embed code]
28-Jun-2016 20:38 Dr.John Smith Updated [Total occupants, Source, Narrative]
15-Nov-2020 19:45 Dr. John Smith Updated [Source, Narrative, Accident report]
15-Nov-2020 19:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description